Stupid Mop!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What stupid fish we have!!! I just had to "rescue" one of the Orandas (Mop) from under one of the filters where the great lump had gotten himself stuck, all for the sake of an algae wafer!!! What a dingbat he is!!! :rolleyes:

He's fine now though, I just hope he learned his lesson not to chase the wafers about!!! :lol:

Glad you saved him! I suspect he'll do the same again, after all a nice tasty wafer is on the line... :D

Glad you saved him! I suspect he'll do the same again, after all a nice tasty wafer is on the line... :D

I hope not, I moved the said wafer to the front of the tank (they're really meant for the loaches, but they get bulldozed out of the way by mop & whitey!!!), so he shouldn't be going down by the filters again!!! :lol:

I would lower the filters too, but with the substrate being sand, it's a bit difficult as it would clog up the filters... :rolleyes:

Goldies will go after food whatever the consequences! :)

The only thing you can do is to baby proof your tank .... nothing too small that can get stuck in the mouth, and block all openings that the fish can get stuck in!

Goldies will go after food whatever the consequences! :)

The only thing you can do is to baby proof your tank .... nothing too small that can get stuck in the mouth, and block all openings that the fish can get stuck in!

They are pretty dim, but most of the food is dry stuff or too big to fit in their mouths, so thankfully this was a one off!!! When I saw him under the filter I thought he had died all of a sudden, but it just turned out he's an idiot... :lol:

You can add pieces of sponge to the filter intake--that will prevent sand from getting sucked up. I used to have it on tanks with fry. Works great!

Speaking of dumb fishes I lost two of my four zebra loaches after I replaced the normal intake strainer on my Filstar with the SmartHeater. The dumb fish wiggled their way through the opening and went up the tube where they jammed the filter instake and died. Fortunately I haven't lost any since then otherwise I might need to put a sponge on the intake. Either the last two fish are smarter or just before the second fish went in there must have been some kind of last minute communication along the lines of "I'm going after George. If I don't come back safely don't you come after me."

You can add pieces of sponge to the filter intake--that will prevent sand from getting sucked up. I used to have it on tanks with fry. Works great!

It might be a touch difficult to do that with two Fluval3+ and one Fluval2+ filters, here's a couple of pics incase you're unfamiliar with these filters:

00395.JPG

The intakes are those small grills on either side of the filters, block those up and the impeller rattles like mad!!! :(

I've just been watching Mop and Whitey and both of them seem to have been flashing, they've stopped now, but I'm somewhat concerned that there may be something nasty in there... :(

Back
Top Bottom