Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 5g Betta tank and I want to plant a baby tears carpet on my gravel. I was told that using a good substrate will really help that and I was also told sand complimenting root tabs. If someone could explain root tabs or tell me the best kind of substrate i should use, please reply to this thread. Advie and opinions wanted! Thanks :D

Sand can work as well as any commercial aquarium plant substrate. I use Eco Complete in all my tanks and now they have a "fine" grade which is like a larger grained sand.

The difference between sand and commercial plant substrates is that the sand is inert and the commercial substrate has a high CEC, cation exchange capacity, which means it can absorb nutrients from detris and the water and hold them for use by the plants.

Root tabs are fertilizers in a tablet form that you place in the substrate under or close to the roots of the plants.

Sand with root tabs

Root tabs are for plants that are root feeders, meaning that they get their nutrients from their roots, that's what root tabs are for
I like sand, it's compact, so plants will anchor nicely

I have a 5g Betta tank and I want to plant a baby tears carpet on my gravel. I was told that using a good substrate will really help that and I was also told sand complimenting root tabs. If someone could explain root tabs or tell me the best kind of substrate i should use, please reply to this thread. Advie and opinions wanted! Thanks :D

The main issues ;
Dwarf Baby Tears aka HC ( HEMIANTHUS CALLITRICHOIDES )
will have trouble rooting in gravel. You can buy it pre grown as a carpet on mesh and cut it to fit. But keeping it rooted will be difficult.

HC is a high light plant. Unless you have correct lighting , CO2 and Ferts, it will just die AFAIK or at least fail to thrive.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ails.php?id=51&category=genus&spec=Hemianthus

There are lots of articles here and on APC and The Planted Tank about HC and how to be successful.

The main issues ;
Dwarf Baby Tears aka HC ( HEMIANTHUS CALLITRICHOIDES )
will have trouble rooting in gravel. You can buy it pre grown as a carpet on mesh and cut it to fit. But keeping it rooted will be difficult.

HC is a high light plant. Unless you have correct lighting , CO2 and Ferts, it will just die AFAIK or at least fail to thrive.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=51&category=genus&spec=Hemianthus

There are lots of articles here and on APC and The Planted Tank about HC and how to be successful.

Wow :) thanks for all the info and links! I really appreciate it. I will defiantly educate myself before I buy any :)

Back
Top Bottom