Substrate Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

novaheat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone changed the substrate in a cycled tank? Just wondering if it can cause problems. I am using a sump for filtration on a 120 gallon tank.

Thanks,
NovaHeat

I switched from gravel to sand in my 29g.

- Keep the filter media wet. This is the key to keeping your tank from cycling again.

- Put your fish in bucket or coolers for temporary housing.

It's pretty straightforward after that. Keep a close eye on water parameters for a few days after the switch for any indication of a minicycle.

if you want a little bit of extra caution you could do half at a time. or add a hob filter on the tank for a while before switching the substrate to compensate for lost bio-media and help clean up the water from the gunk that will get stirred up.

Did it with my 55. Went from gravel to sand all at once. I don't think I even had a mini-cycle. My filter already having the bacteria plus all the stuff that was in the tank. Water doesn't have all that much bacteria, it lives on all the 'stuff'.

BTW: I'm very happy I changed mine.

Effectively all of your nitrifying bacteria should be in your filtration, not the substrate or decor. I have swapped substrate multiple times with absolutely no issues. I have also moved the fish and filtration (and nothing else) from an established tank to a completely new setup with no issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom