Sudden Bristlenose Death!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattman0182

Aquarium Advice Regular
I dont know what happened. I came home today and he was dead. Everyone else seems to be ok. The water is cloudy.

MY dad got my lil bro one of those carnival goldfish, you guys will kill me, but I put him in with my own fish. I wonder if this had something to do with it. I am really sad now I just dont know what I did wrong.

I have been testing the water every week and it was fine every time.

He was 6 months old.

One more thing, the goldfish's fins are turning black. I have no idea what this means. Everything just seemed to go downhill fast after the goldfish was inserted.

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like you might have ammonia burns on the goldfish. Are you using the liquid test kits or the paper strips. Have you tested the ammonia in your tank?

The ammonia could have come from something before hand or from the dead fish as well.

Black on goldfish is a sign of healing, so I suspect that the fish had the burn before you got it & is now getting better.

However, it is still good to check all your water parameters. A goldfish adds a lot of bioload to a tank & can severely upset a small tank's balance.

How long was the goldfish in the tank before the pleco's demise? If the gold had brought in an infection that could kill within hrs, it would have signs of it. <I am thinking of something like virulent columnaris.> It is possible that there is some toxin in the water the gold was in that the BN was particularly sensitive to ... but chances are the BN's death was coincidental.

The goldy was in the tank about 2 weeks before the BN's demised. A week or more before that I went from rocks to sand substrate.

The Pike Cichlid (still not sure it may be a dwarf.) would sometimes nip at the fins of the goldy if it got too close.

One thing I noticed was that the goldfish would always stay very close to the pleco.

I am really confused now and worried for my other fish and the frog.

Maybe I am just looking for a scapegoat, but it just seems strange to have this suddem trouble after adding the goldy.

Back
Top Bottom