Super glue safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessiNoel21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if it be okay to glue my intake tube to my filter back together with lock tight super glue? I broke it today cleaning it

Use silicone, a small tube will cost you as much as any glue and it's safe unlike glue. The glue might be toxic and not sure how that would work once the water hits it.

If the superglue is pure cyanoacrylate, it's perfectly safe. As a reefer, we use it all the time in our systems.

Ty for the replies it is only until I can get the new one in that I ordered today. I just don't want my tank to be without a filter for long. Ty

I agree, I've used it to attach live coral to under water rocks. Just hold it in place for awhile and it hardens. No harm to fish or coral.

I know someone who's large catfish nose broke and they used super glue to join it back together and it fussed fine

I use superglue on deep cuts at work! Still ticking;) it's great for aquarium use!

Disclaimer: I am not saying that this method is safe and/ or effective. Best practice is emergency room for the first paragraph and dentist for the 2nd.

For cuts: someone helps you with a pressure point to temp stop bleeding or you make a tourniquet and temp stop blood flow, then just coat wound with the glue and gradually release pressure and restore normal blood flow. Tourniquets should NOT be on longer than 10 minutes.

You can also temporarily put crowns and fillings back in. It works great, but expect the dentist to tell you that you're nuts. And use a tweezers b/c your fingers will stick to the filling or crown.

History and use of super glue:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns...lue-invented-to-seal-battle-wounds-in-vietnam

Back
Top Bottom