Switching from HOB to Rena XP3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aspencer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now I have a 20g long almost heavily planted with 3 Aquaclear 50s running. I just got a Rena XP3 at Petsmart for $47.47 (prices vary at each location).

I plan to install the XP3 tomorrow. I plan to take the bio cubes from all 3 and put them in the media basket in the XP3 and take off all the HOB filters.

Does that sound right? Should I leave one HOB running?

Just my opinion, but i would leave everything up & running for a few weeks to make sure your new filter is well established before taking everything else off. After your new filter is established, you may want to consider leaving one hob filter on in the event you have to set up a qt tank (or another new tank) so you have established filter & media to use.

When I set up my 75, I took the biowheel off of the tank I was upgrading from and put it into one of the baskets of the canister. I was instantly cycled as I was not changing my bioload.

Just installed the XP3...nice filter and very easy to do!

Lots of flow but no too much. I left one AQ50 in case I need it for a quarantine tank.

This is the way to go!

One thing I was wondering...I have a sponge attachment on the intake tube...obviously I have to clean that on a periodical basis but that means not much gets into the canister itself...right?

Back
Top Bottom