Switching tanks with large fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freakinjimbob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm switching tanks(out with the old in with the new). So i'm draining one tank moving it and putting the new one in it's spot. I was looking for advice on what to do with the fish while this change takes place( 3 Oscars, 1 Arowana, and 1 Pleco.) Also how can i be sure that the water is safe to put them in.

Welcome to AA Freakinjimbob!

I hope you are getting a VERY large tank for that Arowana. There are several ways to do this. The hard, and the easy.

Easy: Bucket the fish individually with lots of extra water, drain the old tain, move it, put the new tank in place. Put in the decor. Then dump in the water that is with the fish, along with the fish. Then add new water to the tank. Restart the filter, heaters, and powerheads. It would be like doing a large water change.

Hard Way (the way we did it. Ugh): Set the new tank in the room about 3 feet away from the old tank. Put the water and fish from the old tank into the new tank (even though its not in its final position). Then move the old tank. Then put the water and fish from the new tank back to the old tank. Then move the new tank into it's position. Then transfer the fish and water to the new tank. It's a lot of work. But it still works. Then just add the new water and decor and you're done.

Just make sure that you use your old filter on the new tank for a while. Make sure that the old filter media doesn't dry out during the transition. And don't clean the filter for several weeks after the change.

Greetings and salutations!

freakinjimbob said:
how can i be sure that the water is safe to put them in

Just make sure you dechlorinate the water, and that it's the correct temperature, and I think you should be okay.

I would love to see pictures of your arowana if you have any.

Back
Top Bottom