Swordtail nipping gourami - what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 60g plus a 10g QT tank. On Saturday I bought 2 dwarf gouramis and a swordtail. Today I noticed the swordtail nipping at and chasing the gouramis around. Do you think my gouramis are going to get stressed by this?

I don't have a 3rd tank.

I am tempted to put the swordtail (or the gouramis) into my main tank but since they have only been in QT a few days that's a risk.

Right now I have 3 (plastic) plants in the QT tank. I guess it would it help if I got some driftwood and more plants?

What would you do?

Parameters: .1 amm, 0 trites, 10 trates, 77%

Update - ran out to the store and bought driftwood and 2 more plants. I hope that will help but I would still love suggestions.

Will getting chased be overly stressful to my gouramis? They are my new favorite fish so I'm anxious for them to be happy/healthy!

In my tank the gourami (blue) is the one who bosses the swordfishes around. I wouldn't worry to much over that, in any case I don't think much can be done aside providing enough spaces to hide

In my tank the gourami (blue) is the one who bosses the swordfishes around. I wouldn't worry to much over that, in any case I don't think much can be done aside providing enough spaces to hide

Oh Ok thanks. Well hopefully the new plants and wood will make it easier to hide.

Thanks!

Are they all in the QT together? If so, thats pretty tight quarters, even as a QT, so it's natural to have aggression issues. You can add a divider if the extra decorations don't work. Hopefully once they're in the larger tank the aggression issues will go away since they'll be able to have their own territories.

Oh you think so? Instructions for the dwarf Gourami's is minimum 10 gallons and 20 for the swordtail but he is only young so I thought it was okay. Anyway the added decorations seem to be helping so hopefully they will be okay for two weeks through quarantine. I appreciate your input.

Oh you think so? Instructions for the dwarf Gourami's is minimum 10 gallons and 20 for the swordtail but he is only young so I thought it was okay. Anyway the added decorations seem to be helping so hopefully they will be okay for two weeks through quarantine. I appreciate your input.

Swordtails and Dwarf Gourami are both territorial species and recognize each other as intruders, especially if they're all males. Even the two gourami may decide to pick on each other in that situation.

Swordtails actually do best in 30g minimum, not 20g, so being in a tank a third that size with 2 other territorial fish is the equivalent of 3 high maintenance people in an apartment. Fights are inevitable. Take those same three people and put them in a house 6x the size, the fights should drop drastically since everyone has their space to retreat to.

Swordtails and Dwarf Gourami are both territorial species and recognize each other as intruders, especially if they're all males. Even the two gourami may decide to pick on each other in that situation.

Swordtails actually do best in 30g minimum, not 20g, so being in a tank a third that size with 2 other territorial fish is the equivalent of 3 high maintenance people in an apartment. Fights are inevitable. Take those same three people and put them in a house 6x the size, the fights should drop drastically since everyone has their space to retreat to.

Ok thank you. I didn't realize those 3 together would be an issue. I will keep an eye on them and see how it goes. Hopefully we can make it work at least until the 2 week mark and then I'll get them in the main tank when I assume the extra space will hopefully resolve the issue.

Thanks again!

Ok thank you. I didn't realize those 3 together would be an issue. I will keep an eye on them and see how it goes. Hopefully we can make it work at least until the 2 week mark and then I'll get them in the main tank when I assume the extra space will hopefully resolve the issue.

Thanks again!

Yep, they should be totally fine in the 60g unless you have particularly ornery ones :)

Update on this: I moved the gouramis to the display (60g) a few weeks ago without the sword tail. Saturday I added the sword tail and here we go again with the chasing and nipping. He is basically non stop chasing and nipping the gouramis especially the red flame who is spending most of his time in the top corner trying to get away from him I presume.

It's only been 2 days - do you think it might settle down if I just wait?

Also, I am sure there is always a certain amount of nipping/chasing in any tank. When do I know it's bad enough that I need to remove the sword tail? I don't want my gouramis to get stressed, they are my favorites.

I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Hmmm... With that much space it definitely isn't territorial issues or establishing a pecking order. Best I can figure is that it's sexual tension. Male livebearers are REALLY driven and will attempt to coerce everything in sight. Without any females, it's possible that the sword sees the gourami as the next best options. If adding female swords isn't an option then I don't see the situation getting any better. He'll stress the gourami to death.

Oh boy.....not good. I love my gouramis. I did notice when I added the 2 male dwarf gouramis that they pecked at each other for the first couple days but then it went away as they settled into the tank. I am hoping the same will occur here but if not......I will find a way to re-home him. Thanks for the input.

Oh boy.....not good. I love my gouramis. I did notice when I added the 2 male dwarf gouramis that they pecked at each other for the first couple days but then it went away as they settled into the tank. I am hoping the same will occur here but if not......I will find a way to re-home him. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, the initial pecking is normal. They're picking out their spots and re-establishing the hierarchy. But when it's consistent, unending, and lasting longer than the first couple days, that's when it's usually more than just picking out spots. Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll settle by the end of the week, but if you already have a gourami hovering at the top corner then it's a sign that letting it go too much longer may end up with a dead gourami.

Yikes that would be terrible. I put him in the tank Saturday. He actually didn't bother anyone on Saturday - I think he was freaked out by his new surroundings. The nipping started yesterday once he obviously got comfortable again. So at this point it's been around 24 hours. Do you think if I leave it a couple more days that could be too long and the gourami would die?

Another day or two should be ok, but keep a close eye on the gourami's condition. If you see any damage, separate the sword from him immediately. He'll go down fast otherwise.

Another day or two should be ok, but keep a close eye on the gourami's condition. If you see any damage, separate the sword from him immediately. He'll go down fast otherwise.

Luckily I work from home so keep checking on them. Went downstairs just now and the sword was over one side, the gourami the other (same place he's been while getting nipped though - in the top corner). Funnily enough looked like the sword was getting nipped by two male guppies so getting a dose of his own medicine!

I will keep a close eye on things. Just called LFS and they said they will take him if need be so I have a back up plan.

Thanks for the help.

So unfortunately "Mack" (the sword tail) continued to be naughty and has been put in time out in the QT. He will be going on vacation to the LFS later today or tomorrow.....!

Thanks again for the help.

Sally

Back
Top Bottom