Tank Catastrophe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I bought a used glass 55-gallon aquarium a few years ago. I have it lightly stocked (3 golden barbs, 2 gouramis and on the bottom some cories and a dwarf pleco).

For a while I was trying to get some medium light plants to stay alive and was resting an extra light (10 gallon tank sized) on the center reinforcement strip of plastic and the edge of the tank. Well, that area weakened (started to sag I think but can't remember exactly) and I stopped using the extra light. Now, I just realized that the entire center support has broken and the front of the tank is actually bowing out a little bit if you look at it from the side. 8-O

So, I drained out at least 10-15 gallons to reduce some of the strain and am trying to figure out what to do. Here are what I think my options are:

1) Do nothing (seems pretty stupid to me - a 55 gallon spill in my dining room is not acceptable)

2) Try to buy some type of thing to reinforce the tank in the middle. My concern about this is that the aquarium may already be too weakened to be trusted until I move next summer.

3) Transfer my fish into the two other tanks I have (a 20-gallon long and a 10 gallon). I don't think they'd be over crowded since I'm so lightly stocked now.

4) Buy a new 55 gallon tank - this option I am very hesitant to do because of the fact I'm moving next summer and don't intend to take the tank with me (will get a new larger one when I am settled in the new place).

Please help! Is option 2 a possibility? Do I need to get the fish out of there right away? I have no idea how long it's been like this. The center support breaking definitely happened after I moved (mid-March) but I don't know when.

I've had a light positioned the same way on my 55g tank for a while now and it hasn't done anything like that. If I read your post correctly it sound like you think the light caused the Bow in the tank... right?

I don't see how a small light would cause it to bow, just my opinion.

I'm sure reducing the amount of water in the tank is a good start, not sure how bad of condition your tank is in.

those little lights get pretty hot, id say with the heat from the light on the center support along with the weight of the hoods and lights it could have caused it to bow... seems very feasable to me

I think it may have been the extra weight of a second light that did this, but that's only because I can't think of anything else it could be. It does seem a bit strange but maybe it could have happened because the light didn't go all the way across the tank and was resting half of it's weight on the middle support?

Does anyone know about how much it would cost to buy a new tank at Petsmart (not a kit, just the straight tank)?

Last edited:
you can get the tank alone for around $150 last time i was there... it may have been cheaper actually, because they had a sale on them... if youve got the cash go for that or check craigslist, thats where ive got every one of my 55's... CHEAP

I was checking out craigslist earlier and was SO disappointed to see that a free 55-gallon tank in my area was left outside someone's house a few hours ago. I think it's gone by now although I emailed to check (it's too far to go unless I know the tank is there).

The prices I'm seeing now don't look much better than what I estimated would be the cost of a new one.

What I'd really like to do is fix the tank but I guess that would just be flirting with disaster, wouldn't it?

well, it would turn out to be more work and money than its worth... you would have to completely take off the whole top, get a new one, and spend all the time siliconing it back on... it would be too much work for a tank that could potentially be structurally damaged further than just the top too...

and never make the mistake i just made by being addicted to AA and leaving your python filling up a tank and forget.. i have a good 10 gallons of water in the floor now lol

a tank that could potentially be structurally damaged further than just the top too...

That's my concern. My husband has suggested he could put a brace on the top, but I'm just worried that even once it's braced that it the stress it's under now might have ruined it.

well if the front is bowing out already, id say you would need to seal the whole thing, because the silicone could crack with the stretching and contracting... personally, i would just replace the tank... if you lived close to me, id give you one ;) its always better to be safe than sorry, especially when you dont want 55gallons of water in your floor, along with dead fish and everything else in the tank...

At the LFS near me has the top trim for tanks in several sizes including a 55 gallon. Check around you will probably beable to find a used tank pretty cheap.

Thanks for all of the input, everyone. Craigslist was a bust - there was nothing nearby me that was a good value. But, I ended up finding a brand new 55-gallon tank for $95 + tax (after using a $10 off coupon) at a local Petco. I'm going to transfer the fish from the old tank to the new tank tonight!

Back
Top Bottom