Tank Cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mybettanorman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I got my new tank about two weeks ago so I have changed the water twice now. I know you're supposed to do an about 50 percent water change weekly (I have a 3.5 gallon tank), but whenever I dump out half the water, there are always visible fish waste bits and random debris. I do use a gravel vacuum and I have a filter, so what's the problem? Is this normal? I can't stand the dirty water look.

Also, whenever I take out my decoration to clean, there's always this slimey substance on it. It's practically clear in color, and with hot water it comes off. What is it

I would appreciate any information. Thank you!:)

I've shifted to just bare glass on my betta tank and find that much easier. If you have any snails they will add a lot of waste.

Well, it's like this... fish eat and they poop. If you're doing your water changes and have good filtration, don't fret over some debris. The fact that you can take out some or most of it is a good thing. The slime on your decorations over time is normal unless you are over feeding or there is something abnormal going on in your tank.
I have tanks with medium size cichlids in them, you should see what I suck out of the gravel! Makes good fertilizer for my plants :)
Don't worry, be happy!

Back
Top Bottom