Tank Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexandraDanielle21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. I have a kinda stupid question for ya. :p When is your tank officially considered cycled? Is it when the ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0 and the nitrate levels are moderate? My 40 gallon tank has been up for a week now and the ammonia has lowered to below .25. What would the optimum levels be and how long should it take to get there? I am in the process of a fish-in cycle with 4 platies and two mollies. Will they be okay? I don't want any casualties. :(

My rule of thumb is that a tank is cycled when you get straight readings of 0 for ammonia and nitrite, and some readings for nitrates, for at least 5 days. After that, you can generally add fish, but I only add 2-4 at a time (per week) and keep up with water changes and testing. From my understanding, a tank is established after it has been up and running with perfect readings for about 2-3 months (this is important for fish that do not do well in newly cycled tanks - like loaches or corydoras). Anyone can jump in if I have said something wrong - this is based on my experience...and all has gone well so far!

My rule of thumb is that a tank is cycled when you get straight readings of 0 for ammonia and nitrite, and some readings for nitrates, for at least 5 days. After that, you can generally add fish, but I only add 2-4 at a time (per week) and keep up with water changes and testing. From my understanding, a tank is established after it has been up and running with perfect readings for about 2-3 months (this is important for fish that do not do well in newly cycled tanks - like loaches or corydoras). Anyone can jump in if I have said something wrong - this is based on my experience...and all has gone well so far!

Thanks! That is great, and reaffirms what I was thinking so I think that you're right. Any suggestions for fish to match up with platies and mollies for the future?

I will let someone else comment there - my experiences lie with black skirt tetras and panda corydoras! :) Setting up a new tank can be so much fun - enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom