Tank Decoration Dilema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DetroitRockCity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a new 55gal freshwater tank and I am still trying to figure out exactly how to decorate it. I already have purchased a large piece of driftwood, its fake and came with instructions to rinse before putting in tank, and I am going to use an epoxy coated gravel, that says to rinse before use. Heres my question, I want to use natural stone in the tank as well...how do I know that the rock is safe and doesn't contain any diseases before using it in my tank?

I was one of the hundreds of people to previously answer the question...what i learned was that you can give them a nice scrub with a brush of some sort (pass on any chemicals) I use HOT water...and then pour some vinegar on them...if they bubble or anything it is advised not to use them...whatever you DO decide on using can be boiled as a final cleaning and then sun dried and they should be safe! Good Luck!

Scrub the rocks very well in HOT water. Then put them in either a tupper ware container or the kitchen sink (cleaned well without chemicals like soap) and pour boiling water over them. Some rocks can explode if they are boiled. The vinegar test is also wise to make sure it won't increase your pH. Rocks like limestone should be avoided unless you are aiming for African Cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom