Tank Design (I know yall love it!) - Inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Soo I have my two tanks listed below, the fish bore me (but i still love them), now that i have discovered the invertebrate world. I'm also big into plants but not big into spending money on equipment. But I have a remedy!

I have a deal with a LFS which will allow me to trade my cherry reds for store credit. I havent done this yet becsaue my breeding population isn't established very well yet, and since I havn't given any to the LFS yet, they dont know how well they will sell and therefore wont give me too much credit.

Anyway I figure I can ATLEAST get a 10-20gal tank out of them or mabey 2-10gal because frankly they are not that expensive anyway (I would make a water bridge bewteen them). And here is what I would like to do.

So lets work with the worst case secnario: one 10gal tank, more then adequate filtration, sand or gravel substrate (most likly a mix). Initial plantings will be adequate for natural filtration and creature cover.

I want the tank where the shrimp babies can grow (aka non-aggressive), and everything in there should be a good community animal anyway. I would LOVE a lobster(yes i could control him :) or i'll try to at least ) but to my knowledge none of them are very nice to other animas, save possible a filter feeder (vampire).

So what do yall recomend? Anyone have any ideas? Can anyone recomend a good place to find shrimp etc? Anyone have recomendations on cool snails which wont eat my plants? (alredy have MTS)

Also, since most of these beings are bottom dwellers... i'm guessing if i have the option for a tall or long I should go long?

Thanks in Advanced.

I think you should stick to Caridina and Neocaridina species shrimp because they are so helpful in the planted tank. ShrimpNow.com and PetShrimp.com are great sites dedicated to shrimp. Since you plan to trade them in, beware of cross-breeding.

Nerite snails are fantastic algae eaters but need a covered tank. I have kept them, the small sp. of ramshorn, pond, and limpets in my tanks and like them all. I have never kept the red non-plant eating ramshorn, but think they look cool in other people's tanks.

Long tanks are always better imo. 20 long would be a sweet invert tank.

Check out Veneer's posts and his Macrobrachium duarii profile. Here is Shalu's 10 gal.

Back
Top Bottom