Tank Mates for Mollies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordinho80

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gal that I am either gonna do in Cichlids or in Mollies as I have a few in my 10 gal currently....

If i did go with mollies in the 55er, what might some nice choices be for tank mates? I currently have 6 grown mollies, 25 3 day old fry, 12 3 week olds...

probably gonna be selling the fry to the lfs, petsmart, or petco...since i dont want the tank over run with mollies...

i have both black and silver lyretails in there now...what would some colorful choices be for the mollies in the 55er?

thanks...
Mario

PS...I might still go with the cichlids...all depends on if i find nice enough decor that would serve suitable for hiding spots for em...cant afford any of the pre built stuff right now...on a budget

Well, mollies are usually peaceful so they can go with pretty much any other peaceful fish. You could get a school of tetras and/or rasboras.

how long did it take for your mollies to breed cause i have 2 Lyretail Mollies in my tank right now and i wanna know what i should do to make them breed any help would be greatly appreciated

I don't have any of the pre built stuff in my tanks either, it is too expensive and a lot of it looks fake anyway. If you want cichlids, you can get rocks from your LFS or garden center to make caves with- my rocks were 35 cents/pound at my garden center. Just make sure they won't affect your pH. Or, you can use black pvc pieces to make caves, with gravel glued onto them with silicone, that would be cheap. Or, you can get terra cotta clay pots for caves, I have a couple and my fish love them. You can break them and use the pieces, or put the whole pot in there. My pots were about 40 cents each. If you want mollies and cichlids in there, you could get some dwarf cichlids like blue rams or Bolivian rams, or some other peaceful cichlids. :mrgreen:

Rudy,

My first Molly popped 3 weeks after i got her...i had gotten her with a few more from PetSmart....

The 2nd Molly popped the day I put her in the tank...i also got her from PetSmart...

I dont know what you can do to speed it up...but u will notice once she is pregnant...her belly will swell up pretty nice...the swelling is noticable for about 3 weeks sometimes...just give her plenty of hiding spots, mid tank and up top...put a floating plant in there...this will also help with the fry once they are out...

Severum,
thanks for the info...do you have any fully shots of your tank? I would love to see what it looks like...

I will most likely go with the cichlids as I have wanted them for a while now...but when i do get them...I will be going with African Cichlids...

thanks again all

What species of molly do you have? Their personalities can differ, and depending on the species and locale, their sizes can range from 1.75"-6".

Gordinho80, I am still learning how to use my camera so I don't have any full tank shots that I felt were good enough to show off in my gallery. I will take some shots of all my tanks (5 tanks) this afternoon and PM them to you when I get off work. LOL I'm such a show off. :lol: I only keep Central/South American cichlids but maybe you could still get some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom