Tank planning & stocking advice 50 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. First post. Just trying to plan out my next tank and am looking for any input.

I am planning on a 50 gal tank, sand substrate, lots of rocks (maybe a couple cichlid stones), live plants, and some driftwood. Canister filter. Fishless cycle w/ ammonium hydroxide. For lighting I will start with a 6500k CFL and then maybe eventually move to LED.

I'm not sure on plants yet but I've got some crypto wendtii and anubias that have grown out of control in a 20 gal that I will definitely put in there.

I can go a couple different routes in terms of stocking. I really like cichlids so I want some cichlids but I also really like schooling fish. So while I am considering a cichlid only tank I think I would like to go the direction of peaceful cichlids in a peaceful community tank.

Here is what I am currently considering:

1 x Bolivian Ram
1 x German Blue Ram
1 x Kribensis
5 x Otocinclus catfish
15 x rummynose tetra

According to Aqadvisor this will have my stocked at 65%.

I would definitely like more cichlids if possible. How do multiple cichlids of the same species do together? I really don't want any breeding if possible.

I also like the idea of harlequin rasbora, but aqadvisor suggests optimal water temperature is too high for them.

Also considering some pearl gouramis, how many of these would I want together?

I am looking for any and all suggestions. Please voice any comments, concerns, or questions.

Thanks!

Hi. I keep my tank at 26c/78f and my harlequins are doing really well. Most sites advise 77f max but all my fish (tetras incl rummy nose, Cory's and RCS) are thriving. My Cory's lay eggs but the bristle nose and shrimps eat them. The RCS breeding like mad. What temp did you have in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom