Tank sides painted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

speedy51

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone painted or covered 3 sides of their tank? Does anyone recommend this?

Well, I have painted two sides, twice (different aquariums). Does that count?

My 75 gallon tank is in a corner of my living room. I painted the two sides that are closest to the wall there. I found that it helps to concentrate attention on the fish, and also cuts down a little on light coming in from a nearby window, so a little less algea on that side too.

What kind of paint are you going to use? I used plain old latex, multiple thin coats, brushed on, before the tank was filled. It is easier if you can tip the tank so the side you are working on is facing up.

Glassbird this does help. I am thinking of spray painting on the two sides. I really want to cut down on the mirror effect from the lights. Do you still have a mirror effect on yours. Some of my fish seem to think that there is another fish and try to attack it. Other when they are chase bump into the sides. I guess they are thinking that there is more room since the tank looks like it goes on for ever.

Glassbird this does help. I am thinking of spray painting on the two sides. I really want to cut down on the mirror effect from the lights. Do you still have a mirror effect on yours. Some of my fish seem to think that there is another fish and try to attack it. Other when they are chase bump into the sides. I guess they are thinking that there is more room since the tank looks like it goes on for ever

the fish dont get the mirror effect only we do because it only happens when you look through the glass to another piece of glass.

Well, I have painted two sides, twice (different aquariums). Does that count?

My 75 gallon tank is in a corner of my living room. I painted the two sides that are closest to the wall there. I found that it helps to concentrate attention on the fish, and also cuts down a little on light coming in from a nearby window, so a little less algea on that side too.

What kind of paint are you going to use? I used plain old latex, multiple thin coats, brushed on, before the tank was filled. It is easier if you can tip the tank so the side you are working on is facing up.

you should have just painted the section of the wall behind the tank because its easier to repaint a wall then scrape paint off glass.

I bought (16) 15 gallon tanks that were in a storefront type display, so they had 3 sides painted. I ended up scraping a lot of the paint off because I turned them sideways to fit them onto racks, but I do like the painted look.

you should have just painted the section of the wall behind the tank because its easier to repaint a wall then scrape paint off glass.

I don't think painting part of the wall behind the tank (black) would have given the same effect. And it would have just looked odd. And using a single edge razor blade will make quick work of paint on glass.

Regarding the mirror effect...my fish have never reacted to the painted sides, but I keep fancy goldfish and they do not react to much unless it is food!

We found a copy of the finding Nemo aquarium back drop, blew it up, printed it out at Kinkos and laminated it. Looks perfect! and does the same thing, but it might have cost a bit more.

skiweeangel said:
We found a copy of the finding Nemo aquarium back drop, blew it up, printed it out at Kinkos and laminated it. Looks perfect! and does the same thing, but it might have cost a bit more.

Post a pic of the finding memo back drop if you can.....

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the feedback. Not sure if I will paint the sides or what I'll do at this time. I will be rebuilding the tank and was looking for opinions on some painting vs not painting the sides of the tank. I currently have a 3d store bought styrofoam background and rock caves for my fish which I am not thrilled the way it looks as this but is the center pieces or focal point as you enter my house. The rocks are really flat and they are pretty large so there is some concern of them falling over. My wife is always giving me grief about how the tank looks, so I want to redo the tank. I saw some pics on other sites of diy 3d background and caves and I am going to take on this project. I will be removing the rocks and current background and I will be replacing with styrofoam coated with drylok for the background and new caves. Any one with experience using drylok? Also the sides of my tank is still under consideration so I have left that out.

That looks cool. Mine is a little more intense. Take a look

Attachments

• 3538176142_43b8634195_b.jpg
    3538176142_43b8634195_b.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 330
Yeah it will be if I can get it to look similar. I am actually modifying the design to fit my 75g. This was done for a 55g tall (i think). I am also modifying the filtration system. This design in the pic has just the grate opening to allow water into the empty cavity and then behind it is the intake pipe for the HOB filter that he ran.

I have two Fluvals that I am modifying the intake and I will be adding a third one as well. The intakes should look similar but I am actually plumbing them directly into the filter intake stems so that there is no empty void or cavern. It will suck directly from the drain. I tested this system already and it works great. I'll post pics when I start this weekend or atleast I hope to start. I've already create the intaks drains to adapt to the filters. I'll post those pics when I get home tonight.

Here are the pics of the retrofit for the intakes

Attachments

• image-548036196.jpg
    image-548036196.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 130
  • image-2248549878.jpg
    image-2248549878.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 92
  • image-278104588.jpg
    image-278104588.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 106
Back