Tank size for pea puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pea puffers are so cool! Since they are so small, they probably don't need a huge tank. Id say 10-15 gallons would work for these little guys. I've always wanted one but I can't find them anywhere!!

George9 said:
Pea puffers are so cool! Since they are so small, they probably don't need a huge tank. Id say 10-15 gallons would work for these little guys. I've always wanted one but I can't find them anywhere!!

I I think there cool too they sell them at my LFS that is why I was wondering

I have 3 pea puffers in a 29 gallon heavily planted tank. I thought that would be plenty of room, but the large female has decided she owns the whole tank and she spends her whole day chasing the other 2.

If I had a smaller tank or fewer hiding spaces, I would worry about all of them getting adequate food. Fortunately, Big Bertha can't cover the whole length of the tank during feeding time and all the little bellies stay round and happy :)

One of the little males insists upon following Bertha around whenever she stops chasing him. He just hovers about 2 inches away from her until she starts chasing him again. Reminds me of the playground in 2nd grade.

A ten gallon for one would probably work fine. What other fish are in there?

A ten gallon would be fine IMO for a pair or maybe a trio if there is allot of places to hide and breaks in the line of sight. 1 male and 1-2 female would be best but allot of the pea puffers you find in LFS aren't old enough to sex yet.

I have been told they should pretty much be a species tank but you never know, you maybe able to find a fast little tank mate to go with them.

Don't under estimate their aggression, they are fiesty little buggers but I love them

George9 said:
A ten gallon for one would probably work fine. What other fish are in there?

Some danios,some platys,and some tetras
But I would wait tell it can be a species tank but could 1 male and 1 female pea puffer live with a male Betta in a ten gallon?

Mogurako said:
I wouldn't add a Betta with a DP

I agree do not add the betta. It would be an all out brawl.

Last edited:
Back to tank size, 5 gallons per fish. (besides the fact they need some decent swimming room they are also VERY messy eaters) It may be hard to determine sex in juveniles so stocking them according to gender may be a little difficult. Most differences occur with age, so it may be in your best interest to purchase an older specimen. There are some stories of males fighting to death during breeding season.

Dylan5359 said:
Back to tank size, 5 gallons per fish. (besides the fact they need some decent swimming room they are also VERY messy eaters) It may be hard to determine sex in juveniles so stocking them according to gender may be a little difficult. Most differences occur with age, so it may be in your best interest to purchase an older specimen. There are some stories of males fighting to death during breeding season.

Thanks for the info :D

Back
Top Bottom