Tank Stocking Scheme Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeIsOrganic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm setting up my first tank and it's a couple weeks into cycling. It's moderately planted with a good chunk of hiding spaces and caves. It's 55 gallon. Anywho, I had a couple of stocking schemes in mind and wanted some input on them.

Anywho, scheme 1:

1M/2F Kribs (which are surprisingly hard for me to find)
3M/9F Green Tiger Barbs
1M/2F Opaline Gouramis
1 Blue Lobster

scheme 2:

1M/2F Kribs
1M/2F Rams
1M/2F Apostis
3M/9F Pentazona Barbs
1M/2F Dwarf Gouramis
1 Blue Lobster

-Would any of these be happier with more of their own kind?
-What should I take into consideration on the order I put them in?
-How close am I to filling out a tank with those in mind, or would either be overstocked?
-Anything else jump to mind that might be happy in one of those setups?
-Any unusual water info I'd need to know?

Any other input would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks!

Last edited:
Even a 55g isn't big enough for 3 trios of Dwarf Cichlids IMO. You could get away with 2 though, if you have alot of hiding spots.

I would skip the Blue Lobster, as it would likely eat your fish.

I would go with the 2nd scheme, minus the Kribs and the Lobster. You may want to add in another school of fish or add more Barbs to fill in the upper and middle space. :)

Since this is the same aquarium that you are planning to plant, then definately skip the lobster as they are notorious for tearing apart plants.

I agree the lobster should not be a consideration,unless you want plants chewed up and fish that are eaten. Do 2 sets of dwarf cichlids and get a school of cories for the bottom of the tank instead.

I suspect the Blue Lobster is a key member of the list. I saw some Yabby's/Crayfish at my LFS the other day and they looked brilliant. Very tempting to get one. But I was told they may snip the whiskers off the Pim Pictus catfish I'm planning to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also suggest not getting the lobster. I'm a little biased against them because you really can only have one crayfish/lobster in its own tank with nothing else unless you are ok with the eventual death of its tankmates. My crayfish turned out to be boring, super aggressive, reclusive and ultimately quite the murderer. I went from 3 medium sized crayfish and a crab to one big crayfish and three killed tankmates in under 6 months, then the big bully died anyway.
Blue lobsters are really pretty, but so are a lot of awesome fish you could get instead, and then you dont have to deal with the aggression.

Back
Top Bottom