Tank Uneven Should I be worried.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alickx08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just bought a 10 gallon the other day and the water line leans to the right. My 20 gallon I noticed leans to the right too but nowhere as much as this. Should I be worried is my question, I have read that an uneven tank could cause the glass to shatter which would be absolutely terrible. I hope the picture shows up to illustrate what I am talking about.

Attachments

• 181.jpg
    181.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 166
Is it the tank itself that is uneven, or the stand it is on? Is the stand on carpet, near a baseboard wall, etc?
I have a 35g tank that leans forward a little, mostly due to the placement of the stand. I ended up putting some thin wood under the front of the stand and using a level to make sure it was correctly leveled.
Best way to find out if its the tank or the stand is to get a level and set it directly on tbe stand. If the stand is level, check the tank, and if the tank is off, take it back and get a new one. A small lean in a 10g is probably not much to worry about as long as its not the tank itsself.

My 55G is sloped and has gone over a year with no issue.

It is on a stand, or really my nightstand next to my bed in which case it may be that. But upon setting up the tank when I placed it on the stand I noticed that the tank was "wobbly?" not too sure if that is the correct term to define it, but the back left and front right sides I was able to lean the weight and shift it between. I know its a terrible job of explaining but the tank itself wasn't every even from the get-go. I wanted to return it but I thought it is just a 10 gallon. But in the case of if it is the stand how should I go around fixing this.

Ya both of my tanks (55 gal, 20gal) are both sloped. Not much. But they have both been like that for over a year and they are fine.

wobbly? That's doesn't sound stable. Is there any danger of the stand failing?

It is on a stand, or really my nightstand next to my bed in which case it may be that. But upon setting up the tank when I placed it on the stand I noticed that the tank was "wobbly?" not too sure if that is the correct term to define it, but the back left and front right sides I was able to lean the weight and shift it between. I know its a terrible job of explaining but the tank itself wasn't every even from the get-go. I wanted to return it but I thought it is just a 10 gallon. But in the case of if it is the stand how should I go around fixing this.

best way to fix that is to get a stand that is built for a 10 gallon aquarium, you have to remember a 10 gallon aquarium weighs a little over 100 lbs when full, and most nightstands and dressers will not withstand that extra weight for long, and they are also not perfectly level on the top for the most part.

now you said the tank itself was wobbly on the stand. that could be bad because it will cause uneven pressure on the corners and cause it to bend and twist. which will eventually cause the seams to bust (could be days, weeks, months, or years no way to really tell).

so i would just recommend finding i nice level and sturdy place to put it on, or buy a stand built for aquariums.

i will add that if the stand itself was leaning and the aquarium was laid nice and flat on top of the nightstand, then would not be such a huge problem. My 38 gallon is about 3/16 of an inch higher on the left then the right, but it is the stand itself that leans, and not the aquarium because it is an a stand made for aquariums :)

Last edited:
best way to fix that is to get a stand that is built for a 10 gallon aquarium, you have to remember a 10 gallon aquarium weighs a little over 100 lbs when full, and most nightstands and dressers will not withstand that extra weight for long, and they are also not perfectly level on the top for the most part.

now you said the tank itself was wobbly on the stand. that could be bad because it will cause uneven pressure on the corners and cause it to bend and twist. which will eventually cause the seams to bust (could be days, weeks, months, or years no way to really tell).

so i would just recommend finding i nice level and sturdy place to put it on, or buy a stand built for aquariums.

i will add that if the stand itself was leaning and the aquarium was laid nice and flat on top of the nightstand, then would not be such a huge problem. My 38 gallon is about 3/16 of an inch higher on the left then the right, but it is the stand itself that leans, and not the aquarium because it is an a stand made for aquariums :)

oh dear, I have my 10g on a solid night stand for about a year. so far it "looks" ok. not sure of how the surface is faring.:ermm:

oh dear, I have my 10g on a solid night stand for about a year. so far it "looks" ok. not sure of how the surface is faring.:ermm:

surely some nightstands will hold it fine as long as the surface of the stand is and stays even. i just prefer to go the aquarium stand route because i have wood floors :)

Back
Top Bottom