Tank water is cloudy/milky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperFly426

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an established tank that has been running for about three months now. I was a little short on gravel, so I added some additional gravel to the tank yesterday. I made sure to thoroughly rinse the gravel, but the water still appears cloudy. I did the gravel addition yesterday and the water has only cleared up a little bit.

How can I fix this and achieve crystal clear water?

Thank you!!

I have an established tank that has been running for about three months now. I was a little short on gravel, so I added some additional gravel to the tank yesterday. I made sure to thoroughly rinse the gravel, but the water still appears cloudy. I did the gravel addition yesterday and the water has only cleared up a little bit.

How can I fix this and achieve crystal clear water?

Thank you!!
:welcome:Firstly, welcome to AA. Just a few question for you so we can help...

1. Did you have crystal clear water before you added the gravel.
2. What type of filter(name+model).
3. What's your pwc's schedule.
4. Tank size and stock.

:welcome:Firstly, welcome to AA. Just a few question for you so we can help...

1. Did you have crystal clear water before you added the gravel.
2. What type of filter(name+model).
3. What's your pwc's schedule.
4. Tank size and stock.

1. It wasn't 100% crystal clear, but it was pretty clear.
2. marineland penguin 100 (stock filter and bio wheel)
3. Not sure?
4. 10 gallon

I forgot to clean my gravel once and nothing really happened, depending on how dusty it was I don't think the gravel would cause cloudy water. Did you move the gravel around that you had before you were adding more? Maybe mixed up some debris.

1. It wasn't 100% crystal clear, but it was pretty clear.
2. marineland penguin 100 (stock filter and bio wheel)
3. Not sure?
4. 10 gallon

I agree with Grand1011. I would replace the cartridge(with the sponge) and replace it with filterfloss. You can pick some up up at a Craft/Hobby store real cheap. It is also known as polyfil. If you put it in where the cartridge was, you should get crystal clear water. I would pack it in there but make sure there's room for the wheel to turn!!. How many/type of fish have you got in the tank??...
PS... PWC= Periodic Water Change

I forgot to clean my gravel once and nothing really happened, depending on how dusty it was I don't think the gravel would cause cloudy water. Did you move the gravel around that you had before you were adding more? Maybe mixed up some debris.
I didn't touch the existing gravel, but it's possible it was disturbed from the new gravel touching it.
I agree with Grand1011. I would replace the cartridge(with the sponge) and replace it with filterfloss. You can pick some up up at a Craft/Hobby store real cheap. It is also known as polyfil. If you put it in where the cartridge was, you should get crystal clear water. I would pack it in there but make sure there's room for the wheel to turn!!. How many/type of fish have you got in the tank??...

I will look into that! Water is changed once per week... usually 20% of the water.

Fish include the following:

1 comet goldfish
7 red minor tetras
1 algae eater

I didn't touch the existing gravel, but it's possible it was disturbed from the new gravel touching it.

I will look into that! Water is changed once per week... usually 20% of the water.

Fish include the following:

1 comet goldfish
7 red minor tetras
1 algae eater

I would up the water change to 50%, it'll keep everything right. Is the algae eater a common pleco by any chance??

I would up the water change to 50%, it'll keep everything right. Is the algae eater a common pleco by any chance??

I will up my water changes, thanks! I just did a google search and it's a chinese algae eater.

Very aggresive when it matures Chinese algae eaters are. I'd take precaution with it and also, goldfish... Messy and large, also take precaution. Tetras, may be a little to big for the tank as they require around 30 gallons and if you plan on upgrading, then they will be fine.

Very aggresive when it matures Chinese algae eaters are. I'd take precaution with it and also, goldfish... Messy and large, also take precaution. Tetras, may be a little to big for the tank as they require around 30 gallons and if you plan on upgrading, then they will be fine.

:agree:

Ok, the main problem isn't from gravel, new or old. The cloudy water is do to the huge bioload you have from being over stocked. The filter you have cant handle it. Don't change you filter cartridge out. If you did that you would be removing roughly 90% of your beneficial bacteria and cause a re-cycle. The best thing to do would be to return/re-home the goldfish. It doesn't belong with tropical fish like tetra's. the temps needed to keep for each fish are total different and make them incompatible tank mates. I totally agree with upping the water change. That needs to happen until your stock change. I know it sucks but trust me you and your fish will be much happier. If you were to keep thing as they are the problem will just slowly get worst.

Hey Ian can I use the inside of a pillow.

Hey Ian can I use the inside of a pillow.
If you mean the stuffing, polyfill, then yes. That's what i use, same stuff as filterfloss. Just make sure it's a brand new pillow!!. Give it a rinse in used tank water, that removes loose fibers, then your ready to go!!!

Ok, the main problem isn't from gravel, new or old. The cloudy water is do to the huge bioload you have from being over stocked. The filter you have cant handle it. Don't change you filter cartridge out. If you did that you would be removing roughly 90% of your beneficial bacteria and cause a re-cycle. The best thing to do would be to return/re-home the goldfish. It doesn't belong with tropical fish like tetra's. the temps needed to keep for each fish are total different and make them incompatible tank mates. I totally agree with upping the water change. That needs to happen until your stock change. I know it sucks but trust me you and your fish will be much happier. If you were to keep thing as they are the problem will just slowly get worst.

I've had the goldfish for about 7 weeks now... if I remove him from the tank, would I still be okay with the remaining 7 Red Minor Tetras?

If you mean the stuffing, polyfill, then yes. That's what i use, same stuff as filterfloss. Just make sure it's a brand new pillow!!. Give it a rinse in used tank water, that removes loose fibers, then your ready to go!!!

ok cuz I just got a new pillow and I was gonna use my old pillow for filter stuffing lol but I guess it's a no no

I've had the goldfish for about 7 weeks now... if I remove him from the tank, would I still be okay with the remaining 7 Red Minor Tetras?

Yeah you could pull that off but you have to up the water changes to something like 30-40% twice a week. At least to start and see how things go. If you can, I would think about upgrading filters. It will help out now and be useable in the future if you get a bigger tank. I don't believe you can ever have to much filtration.

Last edited:
Yeah you could pull that off but you have to up the water changes to something like 30-40% twice a week. At least to start and see how things go. If you can, I would think about upgrading filters. It will help out now and be useable in the future if you get a bigger tank. I don't believe you can ever have to much filtration.

Well I just purchased this Marineland filter over the weekend... figured it would be good enough since it's for up to a 20 gallon tank and my tank is only 10 gallon.

I have a question... I just changed the water on Thursday. New fish were added on Friday. New gravel was added yesterday. Could I do a water change right now or would that be bad?

Well I just purchased this Marineland filter over the weekend... figured it would be good enough since it's for up to a 20 gallon tank and my tank is only 10 gallon.

I have a question... I just changed the water on Thursday. New fish were added on Friday. New gravel was added yesterday. Could I do a water change right now or would that be bad?

Sure! You can do a water change now! And tomorrow! You can do two back to back if you want two. Just remember to treat the new water with prime.

Sure! You can do a water change now! And tomorrow! You can do two back to back if you want two. Just remember to treat the new water with prime.

Always do!

Also I have good news... found a home for the goldfish. My friend's going to come and get him on Friday :D

Back
Top Bottom