Tankmate suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blu3Shyft

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a 46G bowfront tank I'm setting up for the family/daughter's birthday. We've already decided on most of our stocking list, but need some suggestions for my wife's special fish.
The list so far is:

2 Angelfish (1 koi, 1 blue) for the kids
a small school of GloFish
3-5 cory cats (variety undecided yet)
1-2 Albino Bristle nose longfin plecos
pair of Electric Blue Rams (maybe. might save them for my 50 gallon)
Maybe a couple Kuhli loaches
Maybe a couple Austraile Killifish, if we have room

My wife loves a saltwater Snowflake Eel, FW Bala Sharks, Tiger Oscars, and Demisoni cichlids. I know most of those won't work, even in my other tank, but maybe the Demisoni? Can someone suggest something that might tickle her fancy for the community/family tank based on these likes?

When you get the corys please get at least 5. They do much better in groups. I just got peacock gudgeons, which are somewhat similar in appearance to some killis and they live longer. The rams need a super established tank as they are a bit sensitive. You might consider a South American biotope with the angels and corys and plecos, and then maybe a small school of something else. Just a thought.

As for a focal point fish for your wife- hmmm. Have her check out aquabid just to look. SHe may find a pic of something she really likes on there?

When you get the corys please get at least 5. They do much better in groups. I just got peacock gudgeons, which are somewhat similar in appearance to some killis and they live longer. The rams need a super established tank as they are a bit sensitive. You might consider a South American biotope with the angels and corys and plecos, and then maybe a small school of something else. Just a thought.

As for a focal point fish for your wife- hmmm. Have her check out aquabid just to look. SHe may find a pic of something she really likes on there?

A SA biotope would be AWESOME. To catch your kids eyes, a large school of neons or cardinals would definitely make them awe for hours. Cory's are a great choice and I'd go for about 10 in the 55. Rams are an excellent choice they are beautiful. I like the angels idea as well. To help get it going, see if you can get some seeded media from a friend or someone local on Craigslist.

A SA biotope would be AWESOME. To catch your kids eyes, a large school of neons or cardinals would definitely make them awe for hours. Cory's are a great choice and I'd go for about 10 in the 55. Rams are an excellent choice they are beautiful. I like the angels idea as well. To help get it going, see if you can get some seeded media from a friend or someone local on Craigslist.

I've already been seeded twice with filter slime from my LFS where I will be getting most of the fish from. I plan on some cory cats for both tanks, and to catch the kid's eyes, we were doing the GloFish school. The Angels will be the focus point for the family tank, but we each want something in there to say 'that's my fish'. Please explain the 'South American Biotope'?

A South American biotope is a tank dedicated to fish only from South AMerican such as your corys, plecos, angels and others. I had one with hatchetfish also and loved it. I'm sure you could google SOuth American aquarium fish and get whole lists of options. As for the plants I don't stick true to only SA plants but some do. You would probably want sand as a substrate if you are going to have corys.

Back
Top Bottom