Tankmates for a 55 with a Senegal Birchir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bichirs are generally not aggressive fish but they are certainly predatory. Any fish small enough to be eaten probably will be. I avoid keeping bichirs with aggressive/territorial cichlids, 'plecostomus'-type catfish, and any fish that is toothy enough to cause the bichir damage (larger bichirs, piranhas, snakeheads, wolf fish, etc.).

Currently I have bichirs of various sizes housed with appropriately-sized Synodontis cats, African Knife Fish, Bush Fish (Ctenopoma and Microctenopoma species), African Butterfly Fish, African Mud Fish, Congo Tetras, Variegated 'Sharks' and Mormyrids.

-Joe

Wow, probaly half those fish I don't think I have seen at my lfs. My bichir for some reason is very passive and nonpredatory, I have put feeder goldfish, feeder guppies, rosey red minnows, ghost shrimp, crickets, mealworms and other things and he ignores all of them, he might eat a stray bloodworm or some frozen shrimp from the grocery store but that is it. But I don't want to risk buying some nice fish, put them in there and he eats them or they eat him.

Are there any COMMON tankmates. Lol. I have been noticing mine thinks the fins of my female convicts are shrimp.

Depends on what is 'common' where you are. You can get away with many larger gourami species, large congo tetras, larger rainbows (bosemanni work well), severums, ....just a few that I have had success with in past years...now I prefer to keep them in biotope-type tanks, so mostly Ctenopoma, Xenomystus, and Synos with mine these days.

I am not familiar with availability of fish in canada, but I can think of a few fish that I carry at petsmart. bala shark, silver dollars, leopard climbing perch, larger gouramis, syno cats. knife fish, there are alot more. any larger fish that isn't really aggressive.

whitetiger_CJ said:
I am not familiar with availability of fish in canada,

Actually, easily as much as the US, and some you don't get....but it really depends on where in Canada Unknown_7 is....this is a pretty massive country, and some places have very little selection.

That was very helpful. I am considering that biotope idea that you were talking about toirtis. I think I might like that. Do you have any favorite links that talks about that, to help me with that, thanks in advance. If that plan does not go well then I think I will go with the rainbows, gouramis, severums and congos. Thanks for all your posts. Thanks.

BICHIR BIOTOPES
African River
West and Central Africa are full of rivers. Within each of these river systems are
numerous biotopes -- this description will focus on species found in slow-moving
sections and side streams.
WATER:
pH 6.9-7.2,
3-8 dH,
temp;75-81F (24-27 C)
TANK:
The tank should be furnished with wood for hiding places, and fine gravel or sand for a substrate.
The lighting should be muted, and the water should have a slight current.
PLANTS:
Bolbitis heudelotii , Anubias, Vallisneria, Eleocharis.
FISH:
African tetras, Mormyrids, African tetras African Knifefish, African Butterfly fish,
Synodontis, Hemichromis, Pelvicachromis,

African Swamp
The waters support a variety of species and vigorous plant growth making it an ideal subject for a biotope aquarium. Reedy plants line the shores of waterways
WATER:
pH 7.2-7.8,
2-8 dH, 7
Temp:70-75F(21-24 C)
TANK:
The tank should have fine gravel, sand, or clay for a substrate.
Dense vegetation and floating plants help recreate the natural setting.
Use submerged wood to provide hiding places.
The lighting should be bright and the water should be clear.
PLANTS:
Bolbitis heudelotii, Ammannia, Marsilea, Eleocharis, Anubias, Nymphaea, Water
Lettuce
FISH:
Mormyrids, African tetras, barbs, spiny eels, Haplochromines, Tilapia, Hemichromis, Synodontis,

Back
Top Bottom