Tell People The Truth About Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So start a thread about goldfish in bowls? Again... this was a thread talking about bettas. Who gets treated worse in a non-issue. There are plenty of animal treatment atrocities in this world that are worse even than a goldfish in a bowl. :D

Meh, maybe its just that i don't like Betta's, i mean how can anyone get excited about a fish that's meant to be kept in a 1/2 gallon of water...seems like a boring fish, do they even swim around that 1/2 gallon?

I'm just comparing the two problems to show how much more extreme the goldfish issue is...it's like talking about the water damage to your couch, while standing on the ashes of your house after it burned down...

Really, this goldfish issue needs to be dealt with, a comet in a 1 gallon bowl is a major problem, Betta's in a 1 gallon or even a 1/2 gallon, not as big a deal...
I am just saying that the betta issue is still a valid point and the subject of the thread. I agree with you about goldfish, but that doesn't mean the betta issue isn't also important to people.
Why don't you start a thread about the treatment of goldies? I am sure you will find that many people agree with you. :)

Meh, maybe its just that i don't like Betta's, i mean how can anyone get excited about a fish that's meant to be kept in a 1/2 gallon of water...seems like a boring fish, do they even swim around that 1/2 gallon?

Thats the point. They aren't MEANT to be kept in that little of water. Mine never stops moving in my five gallon tank. In the wild, they live in warm ponds that can span 6 feet or so.

And by that logic... How do you like goldfish when they are meant to be kept in a 1/2 gallon of water? Do they even swim in that 1/2 gallon? Answer = of course not.

First off I hope you are being sarcastic. Because that is pretty messed up if not. Its like saying your dont care if I torture boring people because they are boring.
Second a properely cared for betta swims around. Our point exactly.

No, they don't usually swim around in that half gallon of water. They do swim around a lot is my 10g tank however.

Let's keep this thread on topic please. Bruinsbro1997 started this thread to talk about Bettas, not goldfish. The purpose is not to debate which fish is treated worse.

Maybe we should just petition to make it illegal/unjust to carry or sell fish tanks under five gallons?

There are plenty of laws in effect that prohibit the buying, use, or even owning of devices that can be used to abuse animals. In some cities were fighting animals is prevalent, it is illegal to carry anything that can implicate you in rooster fighting, or pitbull fighting.

Since keeping bettas (and other fish) in such a small container impedes the fish's health, can that not be considered animal abuse, and as such, lead to the banning of such small aquariums?

Maybe we should just petition to make it illegal/unjust to carry or sell fish tanks under five gallons?

There are plenty of laws in effect that prohibit the buying, use, or even owning of devices that can be used to abuse animals. In some cities were fighting animals is prevalent, it is illegal to carry anything that can implicate you in rooster fighting, or pitbull fighting.

Since keeping bettas (and other fish) in such a small container impedes the fish's health, can that not be considered animal abuse, and as such, lead to the banning of such small aquariums?
I don't think that'll fly for a few reasons. First, fish aren't held to the same standard that other 'higher' animals are. Also, there are some fish species that do just fine in smaller tanks. I could name a handful of fish, shrimp, and snail species that would all do great in a <5 gallon tank.

Oh, I know it wont fly. It just wishful thinking... Right along with living in a world where common sense exists and abuse - whether its human or animal- doesnt.

some explain this to me. PETA gets onto Nintendo because Mario wears a "fur coat". They throw a fit because a market place in Seattle throws fish to people. Yet the dont care about hjow bettas are treated?

some explain this to me. PETA gets onto Nintendo because Mario wears a "fur coat". They throw a fit because a market place in Seattle throws fish to people. Yet the dont care about hjow bettas are treated?

Oh, trust me... If something even might be abuse they jump on it.

Betta Fish | PETA.org

The last thing we need as hobbyists is for PETA to get involved with ANYTHING about this hobby. If it were up to them, the aquarium industry would not even exist. Careful what you wish for. ;)

The last thing we need as hobbyists is for PETA to get involved with ANYTHING about this hobby. If it were up to them, the aquarium industry would not even exist. Careful what you wish for. ;)

Actually, I was quite pleased with what they had to say, over all, about fish in tanks. Some of it makes me roll my eyes... But a lot of is actually pretty good advice. I'm sure, over all, they say that you should'nt have fish period, though...

Fish in Tanks | PETA.org

Please do a little research on the organization using sources other than its own website. Everyone knows how I feel about them so I'm just going to stop there to avoid thread hijacking.

I support having PETA take up the Betta cause....

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do a little research on the organization using sources other than its own website. Everyone knows how I feel about them so I'm just going to stop there to avoid thread hijacking.

I apologize. I just thought it was interesting.

Back on topic... I know we may not be able to put a ban on the selling of certain size tanks... But what about actual regulations at LFS? Example:

A customer comes in and specifically states that they want to put a betta, or a goldfish, or some other fish that obviously doesnt belong in a bowl or small tank, into one. It should be mandated that the LFS is legally obligated to tell them no. Some stores ignore whats right in order to make more money.

Reason One- It can be considered animal abuse if what you are doing to that fish causes its quality of life, and even logevity, to be compromised.

Reason Two- I can't imagine how many people lose pet fish simply because they dont know better!

Reason Three- If most of the fish sold from LFS actually survived, wouldn't that cause less of an impact on the wild-caught and harvested stock?

@Talvari, I went to the site about keeping fish, but I did not really agree with them. The facts they gave were unsupported by any actual studies or sources. Also, they specificly said that fish should not be kept in bowls, but they had what appeared to be a picture of 5 fancy goldies in a bowl....
I agree with severum mama that I would rather keep them out of the hobby. Honestly though, people have made a difference in betta care by petitioning ang complaining. One member on here said that enough people complained to their local petstore that the place re-vamped their fish section. :) I personally prefer the route of boycotting bowled bettas (like Bruins suggested) and by filling out formal complaints or petitions for stores. :)
My WalMart quit selling bettas in cups because people quit buying them. WalMarts in other places where people still buy the fish still sell fish, although WalMart is pulling back from the live fish business in general I believe.

*snicker* I do have to agree that internet sarcasm is hard to catch sometimes!

I have a question while we are on this topic. Why do people think bettas live in puddles? Honestly, I personally avoid stating a tank minimum for bettas because people have various ideas about it and I am not totally sure what to tell people. Filters are a different matter. But anyway, I know I have heard before that bettas come from areas with draughts so they can live in tiny puddles and thats why they are ok in cups, because thats what they live in the wild. Something similar to that used to be printed on the betta cups that I got when I was younger and the internet was not as readily available to me as it is today. But, all the legit research I have done on the matter has said that wild bettas come from rice paddies which are big and decently deep. So, is my research missing something or what?
Just for the record, I am aware that betta splendens is a captive variety of betta, and I am not endorsing bettas in cups despite their ability to survive it.
The rice paddies do dry up quite a bit during the dry season, but that is only a few months of the year. Also, the bettas we are purchasing are nothing like their ancestors living in those rice paddies.
Define small tank? I think a betta is fine and thriving in a room temperature 2.5 gallon minibow.
I think it needs heated. IMO that's a bigger issue than space or filtration. Just from my own personal experience with keeping bettas in uheated tanks vs. heated tanks. I've had far less health probs with the ones from properly heated tanks.

I am curious, is there any other fish as large as a male betta you think works in a 2.5 gal? That's one thing I have a hard time wrapping my head around...why is it OK for a betta to be in such a small tank but not other fish of similar size?

I believe PETA's stance on aquariums is Fish in tanks, No thanks! So they'd be of no help with this issue.

Does that depend on what your room temperature is though? I hate heat, so my heater is set at 69 degrees during the day, less at night. I wouldn't personally keep many fish at that temperature.

Back
Top Bottom