teritorial gourami???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishytime

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have 3 pink gourami i have had for a couple of days,one of them is being a little teritorial i think,he wont leave the other 2 alone,the other 2 are fine they keep running from the 1, do i have to remove the one to restore the peace???

Well, I have 2 kissing gouramis, although, they are the same age and bought from the same place etc.. One is bigger than the other, the bigger one used the bully the smaller one a while back, but he seemed to 'grow out' of it, although the smaller one did chase him back once or twice, but I don't think that changed anything really.

What tank size is your tank?

This is a common experience when keeping multiples of this species in the same tank. Take one of them back to the store for a refund or store credit and do tell them about your experience so that they don't sell multiples to others that plan on keeping them in the same tank.

It could also be that the aggressive behavior may be lessened if you keep them in a larger tank (if not in already larger tank). Putting them in too small an aquarium may lead to territorial problems with many fish.

Tlyer

Yes, 40 gallons isn't enough for 3 kissing gouramis IMO, they will grow very big. But if they are small now, you could try adding more hiding spaces or plants that will provide much needed escapes.

Gourami

I agreed, it is better to return it to your LFS.
I had 2 in a 29g tank, and the bully finished killing the other one ( maybe just from stress).
At least that was my experience.

Back
Top Bottom