test kit - stupid question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an aquarium systems marine test kit, with lots of reagents. I no longer have a marine tank, and was wondering if the test kit could be used for FW. Since many of the test kits are marketed for FW and SW, I was wondering if I could find a FW use for the kit. Aquarium Systems doesn't sell a FW kit, so maybe this is a stupid question. And One more time.... whats a good FW kit?

Tom

If the kit is not made for both, it may not work. I know one of the kits I have for FW always gives odd readings in my brackish tank. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes a good test kit.

I have a hagen test kit that is marked for both fw and sw. the have one chart for the fw tanks and one chart for the sw tanks. So Id have to say that no, you cant use it on a fw tank unless it is specified on the box.

"The ammonia kit can be used in fresh water.
The nitrite kit can be used.
The nitrate kit can be used but you will need to divide your results in half when using in fresh water.
The pH kit will not work in fresh water.
The phosphate kit, the low range nitrate kit, the calcium kit, the copper kit and the alkalinity kit will all work as is in fresh water."

I just got an email from technical support at Aquarium Systems (wow - didn't think I would hear from them so fast, nice service!) Apparently only the PH kit can't be used in both FW and SW. I can't remember enough chemistry to figure out why the nitrate kit would read twice as high in FW, but at least I get to use my old kit for a while. Now my next dilemma -

My 55 gal tank has been stocked with inch plus danios, six, and one inch platies, 4 for two weeks now. I just used the test kit and found:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite - 0
nitrate = 0

So, did I miss the ammonia and nitrite peaks, or are they yet to come? Guesss I could retest later, and if I detect nitrates know I am done. Prior to joining AA, had been told repeatedly that fishless cycling didn't work. Poor little guys!

That's so few fish in the tank, the ammonia and nitrite may not register, or be enough to get a spike.

That's so few fish in the tank, the ammonia and nitrite may not register, or be enough to get a spike.
So, you think it is possible to go slow enough in stocking and avoid ammonia and nitrite spikes altogether? Or is this going to happen later, when I add more fish. Despite what I know and have read about the nitrogen cycle, 3 years ago I tried to monitor the cycle with a low fish load. I completely missed the ammonia, the nitrite spent about 5 days (during week 3) at 0.4 then dissapeared overnight. I am considering using test strips as a guide to when I should break out the real kit. Maybe then I wouldn't miss things.

Back
Top Bottom