Testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just wondering how often do other people actually test for key parameters? Do other people record other types of data such as fish size, breeding etc?

I test weekly for show tanks and ever 4th day for my breeding tanks once I set the up :) and I do keep a fish log

If I'm cycling a tank then I test daily. Otherwise every few weeks. I record any new acquisitions or deaths, substrate fertilizing (every 30 or 45 days), and preparation dates for my DIY CO2 batches.

Once the tank is cycled and running right I never test unless I have a problem

Lets be fair we only need to do a cycle once as after that if we upgrade or set up a new tank you just use some water and filter media from the old tank to setup the new tank

I test ammonia, nitrites, nitrates only if I get a problem. I test PH only for CO2 monitoring. I test tap GH/KH when I set a new tank, I test PO4 and NO3 if water become green or if I get algea problems...

But now I don't test PH since I have accurate CO2 drop checker.

I keep a log and record when I add new things, redo CO2, make any changes to the tank. I test every three days or so. I test QT tanks daily. On water change days I test PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, KH, and GH before cleaning tank. Then I retest again the next day and record it. I am kinda paranoid about my tanks. I keep records on all my pets. No way I could remember every time I treat or feed them.

Once my tanks have cycled, I test weekly, then once I'm comfortable they're stable I only test if there's an issue or on a rare occasion just out of curiousity.

All the freakin time! I used bb in a bottle so I still don't trust that I am really cycled. I haven't had any bad results I have just heard to many stories about tanks cycling again after using it.

All the freakin time! I used bb in a bottle so I still don't trust that I am really cycled. I haven't had any bad results I have just heard to many stories about tanks cycling again after using it.

I cycled a 30g tank in 9 days with a betta and Nutrafin Cycle (BB in bottle). After, I removed the betta and put 15 tetras cardinalis/neons and I got 0 ppm ammonia spike.

I will say Nutrafin Cycle and Seachem Stability work both well.

Hello early...

You can make water keeping easy or more complicated depending on the time you're willing to spend. I prefer things a bit easier, so I use an aggressive water replacement routine, so I don't have to test the tank chemistry. I just change half or more of the water in my tanks about every week, depending on my schedule.

If you remove a large percentage of the water regularly, you don't need to test. The reason being, toxic forms of nitrogen like ammonia and nitrite take time to build up in the water. If you remove half the water every week or a bit more often, there's no time for wastes to build up before the next large change. The water properties are always stable.

B

Thanks for all the replies!

I was just wondering bcuz I have had my tank cycled for about 4 months now and I have been doing 50% PWC's weekly yet I still test weekly and frankly, got sick of it!

I cycled a 30g tank in 9 days with a betta and Nutrafin Cycle (BB in bottle). After, I removed the betta and put 15 tetras cardinalis/neons and I got 0 ppm ammonia spike.

I will say Nutrafin Cycle and Seachem Stability work both well.
That is what I used mine cycled in 7 days!

I just drop the product on the filter biomedia while filter off, then turn it on after 10 min, just to be sure BB glue on bio media.

i test new tanks when cycling and test established tanks once a month, to make sure nitrates stay at a safe level. that is for freshwater....

Back
Top Bottom