The loach's 29 gallon tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just look up on YouTube, depending on the holes in the sponge that you put on, it will determune the amount of filtration

? How do you do that? Doesn't it reduce the filtration?

If it gets too dirty it will reduce filtration, fluval sells prefilter sponges and you can cut inside it to make it fit your filter intake. I have one on my fry tank, and one on my planted 55 gallon to prevent plant detritus from getting sucked up in the filter

Unfortunately, my Internet is so cheap, that I can't watch videos, I have no idea what type of sponge to use, or how to do it:/

sponge filter is usually for fry tank to avoid being sucked into the filter. i think ur fish might've been sick already because a healthy fish is capable of swimming away from.the suction power of the filter

Hey, so I need to know which of these I can use as driftwood for my tank, which are good?
Grape driftwood
MACS creations jungle gym
All living things gnarled wood
All living things driftwood reptile hideaway
Zoo med African mopani wood
MACS creations riverwood

Ok, but what if they were asleep, so it really doesn't matter?

Fish don't really sleep, they have a slightly less conscious resting period. And +1 to a healthy fish is capable of swimming away from a filter. If you want to put a sponge over the intake then I suggest picking up a box of aquaclear foam filter pads, they're cheap and you just cut a hole in the middle of them long ways then slide over the intake strainer

Hey, I saw this catfish at walmart, does anyone know what it is, or if I can put one in my tank?

Hey, I saw this catfish at walmart, does anyone know what it is, or if I can put one in my tank?

what's the name of the catfish? i know that sometimes Wal-Mart carries Pictus catfish which is not recommended for a community fish tank of relatively small fish. They will normally outgrow a small tank (anything less than 30gal) and become aggressive once they mature.

A picture of the fish you're talking about would be nice, or a name

Not very sure, I think it was called synotodis or something like that, I think this is what it kind of looked like

Attachments

• image-443444030.jpg
    image-443444030.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image-81362295.jpg
    image-81362295.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image-503110022.jpg
    image-503110022.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 64
Not very sure, I think it was called synotodis or something like that, I think this is what it kind of looked like

The Synodontis family has fish that have temperament ranging from friendly to aggressive. So it's better for you to get down to the exact species you're talking about. Do not be surprised when some of the fish from this family can hold on their own against aggressive cichlids such as the oscars. Other members, such as the upside down catfish, is very peaceful and can be added to your community tank without any problem

As for the wood that you're going to get. I've heard mixed reviews on grapevine driftwood. some rot faster than the other. I would also be cautious when it comes to wood that they sell in the reptile section. First, reptiles don't need anything dense(in the sense that it's sink-able). Second, the manufacturers sometimes apply special coating onto the wood, chemical additives such as calcium and what-not since they promote the healthy growth of their skin. These chemicals are big NO-NOs in the aquarium as they alter the water chemistry and would eventually lead to the death of the fish. One thing for sure is that Mopani wood is always a safe and easy choice to go by. They're dense and sink faster than most other woods. They also release less tanin than other woods. The Malaysian driftwood is, arguably, the best driftwood out in the market at a heavier price tag. They're dense and sink quickly. They have all sort of shapes and sizes that hobbists crave for when decorating a planted aquarium. The downsides to these driftwood are that they release more tannin (thus discoloring of the water) and that they're not always readily available in petstores. You can check out Petco and see if they have any. I've seen Petco carrying them but the sizes of those woods are not big at all. You can always test your luck and what-no. If not, Mopani is your second best alternative IMO

7-8 inches ! Will that be ok with my single German and Bolivian ram and Cory's? Or should I drop the Cory's?

7-8 inches ! Will that be ok with my single German and Bolivian ram and Cory's? Or should I drop the Cory's?

no problem with your stocking. throw in a piece of driftwood and it will happily swim around/under it. The only concern i have is that it appreciate a large tank. somewhere in the 40-50 range once they mature.

Back
Top Bottom