The Puffer Scandal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vega

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After pleading by my gf at my lfs for a while, i finally sank in and agreed to buy her a pair of green spot puffer (don't ask me why, i lost all my rational then...)

I know puffer is aggresive, ironically i have advise some1 here on that :?

Upon reaching home, i put the puffers into my 20l tank which house 1 sailfin pleco and 1 red flag tetra (actually this is my 'prison' tank where all the fin nipper spend their time; pleco was here as he is simply too clumsy to be in my heavily planted tank). I though the red flag would be too fast for the puffer and pleco would be ok as most fish done bother them...

innitially everything thing looks ok.

3 hour later, i return to check the tank, and to my horror the pleco lost partial of the tail!!! (But i was correct on red flag though:) )

Now the puffer temp in my Qtank and as for the pleco, he is getting extra wafer everyday for week :lol:

The Lesson of the Story:-
1. GF + lfs = bad decission
2. A classic written eg that Puffer are not nice.
3. Get a Qtank; you never know when u need it!!!

LOL

O man! That's a serious chomp!! Poor little guy! I thought pretty much everyone got along (or ignored?) plecos! My brother kept one with his fairly vicious Oscars! This is exactly why I'll probably stick with goldfish...they only beat up on each other LOL

One thing you can do, though it is less advisable than keeping GSPs in brackish water, is increase the pH of the water. GSPs do well in alkaline (i.e. pH about 8) water. But, I don't think your other fish will.

Seriously consider returning the fish :( , or getting a new QT tank, and turning the present one into another serious tank...

GSPs require brackish water, FW will not do. No matter WHAT ph it is. They require the extra minerals and nutrients marine mix brings to the table.

I live in part of world where there is not return policy....
Guess i get another reason for getting another 200L tank (that would be my 4th tank LOL) that i alway try to explain to gf...

Ah, another person from malaysia! =)
GSPs really do need their own tank, they really can't live with anyone else when they get to about 9 months old (yours already has that 'smug' look on his face so he's at that stage). I have mine at a specific gravity (salinity) of about 1.015 right now and he's doing great. I've also had him for about a year and a half.
Blame the new tank on your g/f, afterall she made you get the fish. Worked for me! =)

Back
Top Bottom