the right chemistry for brackish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a 55gal and had hopes to keep SA cichlids, but alas :( , I tested my water and found my pH = 7.9 and GH = 21dGH obviuosly these are not sutible for a SA cichlid tank and I don't have the money for an RO, which I have been told is the only reliable way to change these conditions.

I have two ideas for my tank, 1) an african cichlid set up 2) a brackish tank as I have heard theese are alkaline and hard water, but would adding salt increase the hard, alkaline conditions too much and make it unlivable?

Have you checked e-bay.. RO units are around $65..
african cichlids are the way I would go... the great Rift Lakes have very colorfull fish.. :mrgreen:

I think I will go for african cichlids, sounds like the best idea. but does anyone have any experience/ advice on the brackish question as I have been intrigued by the brackish puffers and want to try it out as I may have a another free tank soon :D

By using crushed coral or aragonite as substrate, you can keep the pH around a steady 8.

I have sa cichlids and other soft water fish in ph of 8.2 and gh of 300. I don't think youre water params are that bad, just gently acclimate your fish.
For a brackish tank you'll need a sg of around 1.015 with marine salt. and adding salt wont make your tank unlivable, I think you need to do alot more research before setting up any tank. Once you understand water chemistry a little better, I think you'll fare better.

For a brackish tank you'll need a sg of around 1.015 with marine salt.

That's a pretty broad statememt for all BW fish to be in a SG that high (almost SW). BW water (depending on the species) is from 1.001-18, then you are into SW.

dr_girlfriend, I have done quite a lot of research on SA cichlids and it all says that they need soft, acidic conditions and that Africans need hard, alkaline conditions and my taccording to hardness tables etc is hard and moderately alkaline. I don't have actual experience, but this is what I have learnt.

Back
Top Bottom