The story of Squishy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShubunkinLover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't consider myself a humanitarian by any means...but ever since i've been interested in fish for the past few months ive been frequently at pet stores. I recently (within the last 4 weeks) learned how much space goldfish really need, 10 gallons per normal sized fish is the norm that I learned.

While at SuperPetz (regional chain), I noticed that they were stocking their Oranda and Moor tank with even more fish. Both types of these goldfish sell for 13.99, no matter what size. This was a 30 gallon tank...with 23 3inch Orandas in it, 1 big white Oranda, and 1 big Black Moor. The white Oranda and black Moor called this tank home before the shipment of 3 inch Orandas arrived. The white Oranda and black Moor are of similar size, about 4 1/2 inches from mouth to end of the tail, and beautiful fish. Never been a fan of either of the two species, but my heart sank to see these two older fish stuck in here. I returned the next day, the fish were desperate, the black moor had been nipped, and the white oranda was laying in the corner on it's side...neither fish were very active and were obviously injured/unhealthy in this severe overcrowding.

I knew that I had to do something, and if I could have bought every one of the fish in there I would have, but I decided to purchase another 20 gallon tank for the black moor to live by himself, my friend that was with me (who has a large saltwater tank) purchased a new 30 gallon tank to put the white Oranda in. Neither of us had any cycled water at home, but we figured the situation was very desperate.

I figured since I was paying almost 17 bucks for a fish, I could at least make his tank nice. I bought a black background, black gravel, and white plants...Normally the white plastic plants look tacky in my opinion, but it really works.

Both fish took a day or two to get used to the water, but they seem to be doing well, and are eating (which is good.) We treated the water with detoxifyer and are trying to obtain bio-spira from our local fish store (they HAVE some...just not for sale...trying to get them to understand our situation.)

I got into this a month ago thinking i'd spend 150 dollars....i've now spent almost 300. Oh well...I feel better now, still feel bad for the other fish.

6588blackandwhite.jpg

The color/black and white combo does look rather neat.

6588spectrum.jpg

Thanks for reading, and pray for squishy's success.

Good luck with Squishy, I'll bet hes happy!!!! I hate how they sell "special" goldfish BOWLS "perfect for goldfish". And cartoons and TV lead people to think that bowls are appropriate for goldies. Once, in the petstore, a lady got a 2 cup sized plastic critter keeper and asked if she could put 2 goldfish in it. :evil: :(

Good luck with the goldfish. I think I might try them one day :)

I was at the fish store recently and when a lady asked what she could put in her 5g, the employee said she should "start off" with 5 convicts (they were 1" juvies).

Thanks so much for your story of Squishy! This fish looks happy in the 20 gal. :D I just happened on your picture and had to let you know. What a unique aquarium with a goldfish!

It has been 10 months since this post, how is Squishy doing?

Does Squishy seem happy being alone in the tank :?: (I am thinking of getting a single Ranchu in a 20 gal tank).

Back
Top Bottom