There are filmy clear pieces floating in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canno2827

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help there are these pieces floating in the water like flakes. Please help me figure out what it is and what I need to do to get rid of it. I have not had fish in my tank for no longer than a day. The filmy stuff is collecting on the aeration tube and then releasing into the tank. Please help.

Had that happen to me over the Christmas holidays. The filter had been unplugged by a small cousin. Make sure you're filter is working and not clogged.

Help there are these pieces floating in the water like flakes. Please help me figure out what it is and what I need to do to get rid of it. I have not had fish in my tank for no longer than a day. The filmy stuff is collecting on the aeration tube and then releasing into the tank. Please help.
Hi, what type of filter do you have??

Is this a new tank? If so it might be silicone from the manufacturing process. I helped my niece setup a new 10 the other day and it had a few small pieces of silicone floating around after we first filled it.

It appears to be some type of biofilm produced by bacteria. If you could adjust you filter output to agitate the water surface more (or simply lower the water level for a while) that should help breakup and disperse the biofilm. If you are using an air pump + air stone, then that should work as well.
I get that from time to time in my established tank. Sometimes it is cause by poor surface movement. On occasion I have overfilled my tank and the next day a whitish film appear on the surface. The water gets cloudy for a day or two then clears up after I lower the water level a bit. Hope this helps.

Just thinking, do you use a slime coat based water conditioner like Api Stress Coat??
Sound like it's from the water conditioner your using. I had the same problem when i was using Api stress coat, since i've switched to Prime, it has disappeared. It's not a coincidence either because it has happened on my two other tanks.....

Back
Top Bottom