This is why you should do your research...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoeplein

Aquarium Advice Addict
...And not listen to the fish store folks, and put two almost adult sized dwarf gourami in a five gallon tank. "Sure, they should get along fine!" Nope! The other one pestered it relentlessly. It was forced to the smallest corner of the hex, and was snapped at by the other one anytime he tried to get food. I had to spot feed him.

I hoped he'd survive until it was safe enough to move him. Unfortunately, the nipping got so bad that he had necrotic tissue on his side. It looked like it was scabbing up when I finally moved him to the big tank. He seemed to do alright at first. Got along with the other danios and neon tetras. Even the other dwarf gourami stopped paying attention to him.

But then one day I noticed a danio pecking at his scab. Looked like they were cleaning off the dead tissue. But then yesterday I noticed they hadn't stopped there. They bore into him while he was still alive. He was doing his best to hide behind the filter hoses.

Found him laying sideways on the tank floor just now. Sad, though I will say he's the reason I got my big tank. Enjoy fishy heaven.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1400537784462.jpg
    1400537784462.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 107
2 gouramis in a 5 gallon and hex at that is the problem. They did instruct you wrong. Hard to keep much of anything in a tank that small... even water fights with itself in those small confines. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Blame shouldn't lie entirely at the fish store folks door

I do agree that you were given very bad advice.

I do also think that you as a pet owner have a responsibility to research your pets before purchase

At least people will see your post and hopefully wont make the same mistake

Certainly not blaming the store, even if it was a manager, and I definitely should have known better. I was a salt water guru previously. Just had a growing itch and was growing bored of a single danio...

After dealing with the tribulations of such a small tank, I've done nothing but read nearly all day, every day since. That being said, it's not a mistake I'll be making again. I've established a great, fully cycled 65g that's improving every day. I was killing my moneywort in the small tank using over filtered water - they're all growing fresh new leaves in the new tank, using regular tap. I honestly can't say salt is any more challenging than fresh. Especially after adding a bunch of complicated plants to the equation. :D

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom