This isn't working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't know why but fishless cycling isn't working for me (50 gal). It's probably something stupid that I messed up but I just can't figure it out. 6 weeks ago I added enough ammonia to reach about 4.0ppm and its been there ever since. Never had any nitrites or nitrates readings. The temp has been at 85 and everything has been up and running. I'm ready to just tear everything down and try cycling my tank with a few small fish. Any help or anything is greatly appreciated.

Well Im not sure on this, but you might try lowering the temp a little. Also do you have your filter(filters) running?

What do you mean that you added enough ammonia to reach 4.0 ppm? If there is nothing to break it down, it's going to stay at 4.0.... Do you have any other tanks at your house? Or does somebody you know have any tanks? Your neighbor? If so, get of their gravel or one of their filter cartridges or something from their tank, and put it in yours.

Once you get some nitrifying bacteria in their, and they start reproducing and all, you should see your ammonia levels drop. Then you nitrite levels will rise, and soon, after all of that, you will see some nitrates.

I advise that you read the AA article of the Nitrogen Cycle, to get a full understanding of how the process works.

HTH

With fishless cycling, the ammonia source is added, and the nitrifying bacteria move in. The bacteria do better at high temps. Sounds to me like the basics are all there, so we need to figure out why the bacteria haven't shown up.

Did you add ammonia the one time? And the tank continues to measure 4.0 ppm? Have you added any more ammonia or topped the tank off? What tests are you using? Have you added anything other then the ammonia?

Wasnt sure on the temp with fishless cycle, have never done one. I usually do the bio spira thing.

Allivymar said:
With fishless cycling, the ammonia source is added, and the nitrifying bacteria move in. The bacteria do better at high temps. Sounds to me like the basics are all there, so we need to figure out why the bacteria haven't shown up.

Did you add ammonia the one time? And the tank continues to measure 4.0 ppm? Have you added any more ammonia or topped the tank off? What tests are you using? Have you added anything other then the ammonia?
Yep, I added enough amonnia to equal 4.0ppm and haven't added any since. The only other things I have added was stress coat to remove chlorine and more water when the level starts to get lower. I've been checking the levels just about every other day with a freshwater kit from aquarium pharmaceuticals and no changes. I don't know if this helps any but my tank is kind of hazy.

Back
Top Bottom