tiger barbs with male blue gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sith j

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 75gal that is cycling w/o fish, trying to finalize my stocking list, this is what i have came up with so far. oh ya the tank has fake plants and small gravel, almost like sand.

3 bala sharks
3 rosy barbs
5 tiger barbs
3 emerald corys and maybe 3 other corys like pandas or peppered
3 silver dollars

i would like to put a male blue gourami in as well but not sure if the tiger barbs will harras the gourami, im thinking if i keep the barbs in large enough numbers they will leave other fish alone.

has any one had this combination or close to it

thanks in advance

As long as barbs are in a school, they tend to not harass the other fish. I've got mine in with rams, gourami, tetra, etc and the tetra give the barbs more of a problem than the barbs give anyone else.

Also, I might rethink the bala sharks - they get BIG. But then agaoin, so do silver dollars, so maybe you know this already.

Sounds like a bit much of mid-water swimmers. The balas and silver dollars will take up a great deal of middle space, especially when they get large. I think it would be best to pick one of them.
Also, might want to only pick one species of barbs and have a school of them. Having all those mid-swimmers will be uncomfortable for them because they will be bumping into others often.

I have Tiger Barbs and Gouramis, they'll be fine.

IMO, I like the look of having multi coloured Tiger Barbs. Get a few Green, a few Albino and a few regular. They'll all get along great and leave that Gourami alone.

Good Luck

just FYI, I had 13 Tiger Barbs with 2 Gouramis and 4 Cories, 2 Plecos. Unfortunatly I have had some outbreak in my tank that has knocked my Barbs down to 3 :( hoping to resolve it with some Anti-bacterial food as I think we have identified it as dropsy finally.

Back
Top Bottom