time sensative, need advice asap please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joel618

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently bought some F1 Gold Head Muzi comps from aquabid and when they came in they were much smaller than I expected (1 inch at the most). they are currently in my 75gal but they are small enough for my frontosa to eat them. to prevent this ive thrown together a 45 corner tank with a heater, power head and an air pump. the canister filter i ordered wont be in till monday or tuesday.

my question is: will these 6 small fish be ok in this aquarium until the filter comes in next week? i have seeded media from my 75 to put in the filter as soon as it gets here. I can do a water change on sunday but am leaving town until then. is it better to chance water conditions or them getting eaten (by a fish that ive seen eat bigger fish than them)?

thank you
joel

How about a tank divider in the 75 until you're ready for the small ones to make the move into the corner tank? It would be a cheap fix and sold at most big box stores.

that is a great idea but i dont have time to go get one before we leave for the next couple of days petco is 30-minutes each way. :( 45 is proper temp and water conditions should be nearly identical, i just dont know how quickly the water will degrade. i wouldnt think that 6 inches of fish would toxify 45 gallons that quickly but idk. i just dont want to lose my fish or have them turn into REALLY expensive feeders. in between a rock and a hard place. thank you for the reply.

I would definitely go with the 45g, and if you can, hang a bag on seeded filter media in front of the powerhead.
I think they'll be fine for a couple of days easily, then you can test the water and do a pwc when you get back.

ok thank you. ive been worried sick and hoping this would work. i will put a mesh bag of bio balls in a mesh bag in front of the powerhead.

Just make sure it's got good circulation, you don't want the oxygen levels to get too low from lack of movement. I'd think six small fish in 45 G would be ok for a few days, you can keep a full size Betta in the same water in a 2.5 G for at least 3 days without a water change.

Back
Top Bottom