Tips to keep fish safe during angel spawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
A little after a week after getting them, my two angels have laid eggs on my anubias. It's a community aquarium and I've never dealt with an angel spawn before, so do any of you have any tips to keep the rest of the inhabitants safe? I've already moved the anubias to the opposite side of the tank to were most of the inhabitants hang out, in a bid to reduce aggression.

Tank specs: 55 gallon
6x cory
6x oto
2x GBR
1x clown pleco
Adding 10-15 schooling fish (not sure which yet) within the next week or so

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A little after a week after getting them, my two angels have laid eggs on my anubias. It's a community aquarium and I've never dealt with an angel spawn before, so do any of you have any tips to keep the rest of the inhabitants safe? I've already moved the anubias to the opposite side of the tank to were most of the inhabitants hang out, in a bid to reduce aggression.

Tank specs: 55 gallon
6x cory
6x oto
2x GBR
1x clown pleco
Adding 10-15 schooling fish (not sure which yet) within the next week or so

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455379817.504272.jpg

Best is to remove the pair from the tank or use a divider. Breeding pairs of Angels can create a lot of havoc in a community tank and cause injury and deaths to the others in the tank. It's not a recommended situation keeping them in there. :nono:

Best is to remove the pair from the tank or use a divider. Breeding pairs of Angels can create a lot of havoc in a community tank and cause injury and deaths to the others in the tank. It's not a recommended situation keeping them in there. :nono:

Only other tank I have is a 10g so I couldn't really move the Angels out, but I could move the eggs/fry out. A divider is also a viable option, thanks for that idea.

Any idea on whether or not those eggs are fertile (not sure if I have 1 m 1 f or 2 f angels)? They have the color or fertile eggs to my knowledge but my knowledge on angel breeding is limited

Only other tank I have is a 10g so I couldn't really move the Angels out, but I could move the eggs/fry out. A divider is also a viable option, thanks for that idea.

Any idea on whether or not those eggs are fertile (not sure if I have 1 m 1 f or 2 f angels)? They have the color or fertile eggs to my knowledge but my knowledge on angel breeding is limited

The majority of my pairs are in standard 10 gal tanks so unless your fish are old, extra large or really long finned fish, the 10 should be fine for a few years.
The eggs in the picture are the color of fertilized eggs but if they turn white, they are dead eggs. This can happen even 3 days after they are laid ( and just before they should be hatching) so until they hatch, you won't know for sure that they are good eggs.

Just an FYI: It's much easier to move eggs than it is once they hatch so if you are going to move them, I'd move them before they hatch ( generally 72 hours at 78-80 degrees) or, if you are willing to chance the parents eating them, you can let the parents take care of the eggs for the first 2 days then move them before they hatch on the third. This is risky however because if they start to eat the eggs, you can create a pair that always eats their eggs and you will get nothing.

If you really want to increase you Angel breeding knowledge, you should read this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/wigglers-at-last-237956.html

It will increase your knowledge 1000 fold. ;)
Hope this helps. (y)

Thank you! So I saw the eggs turn white and disappear one by one, so I just assumed my angels are both female and they were infertile eggs. Little did I know that there's 100's of fry on a leaf that was out of my vision.

Negligible aggression from the angels to the rest of the tank mates thus far, fortunately.

As of now the angels are only protective of the plant on which the fry are situated, once they are free swimming will the angels stop being protective of them or will they roam around with them causing havoc in the entire tank? Considering removing the fry and putting them into my 10g.

At this point ( hatched that is) the parent's only contribution is protection so you can remove the fry at any time. Yes, the parents will be P*SSED at you for a while however better to have that than no fry because the other fish got to them and ate them while the parents were looking another direction. The parents will calm down in a couple of days and go about their business as usual. Just beware, breeding Angels can cause a lot of damage to the other fish in the tank so you are risking them by leaving the pair in your community tank. As you read ( or should have read) in the "Wigglers at last!!!" thread, breeding Angelfish requires multiple tanks if you really want to keep the fry and protect the other fish all at the same time. ;) (y)

Back
Top Bottom