To Feed or To Keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got some "feeder guppies" for my cycled 13 gallon tank that already had 2 endlers and 1 mm platy. They gave me a bunch, which I didn't ask for, and out of that most are females! These are all basically endler/guppy hybrids, which I don't mind having because I'd rather have these than pay $10 at my nearest lfs with full out endlers. The thing is I don't want 5000000 fry! Should I just give the females and runts to my turtle (FYI the only living things that she's ever eaten were some plecos that I had gotten a while ago), keep them in there and let the platy enjoy the fry, or put the females and runt in my 55 gallon when it starts running with the knowledge that they'll probably get eaten? What's the best solution, in your opinion?

I always wind up keeping them... I say I'm not going to, but I always do! The few times I tried to "cull" by offering a few little fry to my cichlids... the cichlids wouldn't eat them! In fact my only fish that I have ever seen eating the guppy fry were the guppy mommas. LOL

I'm always afraid to cull them before they get their full colors, just in case they suddenly become beautiful ;)... and by then they are too big to be eaten by anything in my tanks. I think I need to find a cool fish that doesn't get HUGE that I can keep around just to eat the ugly guppies. LOL

OH and one population control option would be to try to keep your males & females in different tanks... I have a grow out tank for my fry, and once I notice that a fish is definitely male, he gets moved to a different tank. So far, there aren't any pregnant girls in that tank. That I know of. Yet.

HTH :) Amy

aa79606 said:
I always wind up keeping them... I say I'm not going to, but I always do! The few times I tried to "cull" by offering a few little fry to my cichlids... the cichlids wouldn't eat them! In fact my only fish that I have ever seen eating the guppy fry were the guppy mommas. LOL

I'm always afraid to cull them before they get their full colors, just in case they suddenly become beautiful ;)... and by then they are too big to be eaten by anything in my tanks. I think I need to find a cool fish that doesn't get HUGE that I can keep around just to eat the ugly guppies. LOL

OH and one population control option would be to try to keep your males & females in different tanks... I have a grow out tank for my fry, and once I notice that a fish is definitely male, he gets moved to a different tank. So far, there aren't any pregnant girls in that tank. That I know of. Yet.

HTH :) Amy

I'll probably end up keeping them too and hoping that the platy will eat some of the fry... I don't have any more tanks that I'd be able to separate them, however I do own some plastic containers that I could put some fry if there became an over load of fry! No cories now:(. Or else it'd be overstocked;'(!!! I also do hope that some will color up, my first two I got there did! I guess this is what I get for my first driving experience to the petstore!

Quick question, even though I'm guessing the answer is no... But, do you think that I could put the fry when I get them in a 1 gallon tank? That's the only tank I have... I wouldn't shove a bunch in there, like 5-6 fry?? Or is that a horrible idea and should just stick with buckets/totes?

With good filtration/water movement, and preferably some plants, I'd say sure. Keep up with frequent, small water changes... IMO, for a short term solution, it should be fine.

Okay thanks! I'll probably get some java moss soon for my 13 gallon tank, do you know any other good cover for fish fry? I have really good lighting (50 watts with 6000k in each), and I'm willing to use flourish and switch to the growing soil stuff:). Thanks for helping!

Java moss is great for fry BUT be prepared for it to go everywhere in your tank. Be sure to tie it to some wood or something with fishing line. Oh and put a sponge or something over your filter intake, unless of course you're using a sponge filter. LOL

Lots of people suggest hornwort for fry, and with good lights you'll probably have better luck with it than I did. For me, it shed all it's needles and made a big mess... Also, anacharis, watersprite and water wisteria are all good choices. Actually pretty much anything that is bushy enough for them to get between the leaves will work, and the plants will be very helpful for keeping the water clean. Anacharis and hornwort can just be left to float in the water, just throw it in the tank and it grows like crazy.

You're very welcome! :)

aa79606 said:
Java moss is great for fry BUT be prepared for it to go everywhere in your tank. Be sure to tie it to some wood or something with fishing line. Oh and put a sponge or something over your filter intake, unless of course you're using a sponge filter. LOL

Lots of people suggest hornwort for fry, and with good lights you'll probably have better luck with it than I did. For me, it shed all it's needles and made a big mess... Also, anacharis, watersprite and water wisteria are all good choices. Actually pretty much anything that is bushy enough for them to get between the leaves will work, and the plants will be very helpful for keeping the water clean. Anacharis and hornwort can just be left to float in the water, just throw it in the tank and it grows like crazy.

You're very welcome! :)

I'll look into all of those and if I do get put the fry in a container or the 1 gal tank I'll use a sponge filter. I'm thinking that java moss, water wisteria, and maybe anacharis will go into my tanks! I'll tie it to the driftwood that has some Xmas moss on it too.

Back
Top Bottom