Tons of Microfauna in a Cycling Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigJim

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up a 20L about two weeks ago. I added a few plants, a couple of MTS, and a piece of sponge from the filter on my other tank. I've been looking at the tank for the last few days and I can't believe how much life is in it already!

There are hundreds of these little red tube worms. I first noticed them on my little amazon sword. Now there are a ton up in my foxtails and even some on the front glass of the aquarium. The ones on the glass are fun to watch because you can watch the worms in their tubes.

There are these little blue-green dots that swim around and cling to the glass. I can't really see any defining features on them other than they're pretty round.

There must be thousands of nematodes too. The water looks kind of dusty until you look closely and see that the particles move by themselves. I've also seen a few other critters swimming around in there, but unfortunately I don't have a camera anywhere near good enough to capture any of these critters.

Anyone have some IDs on any of these bugs and whether they might be bad for the tank? I did see a pretty good website on freshwater microfauna the other day, but I had to leave and didn't save it. I assume they came into the tank with the filter sponge from my other tank. The plants also came from the other tank. I never see many nematodes in my 29g and never any worms, but I have a feeling my rainbows eat them all.

Anyone else find lots of critters in a supposedly empty tank?

A healthy tank is supposed to have a ton of microfauna, esp. in a planted tank. No need to worry! They are good source of food for frys. <People cultivate that specifically for that purpose - aka infusora/green water.>

Back
Top Bottom