too many mollies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicshaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have got too amyn mollies for my tank. They are mostly fry and I need to get rid of them. Does anybody know any good way of loosing some of them? I have no one to give them too and the fish shop won't take any.

get a fish that eats them

my molly population is 'aggressively' controled by a single angelfish ... I have 7 females and 2 males mollies, and they spawn often - sometimes I will rescue the fry, but often times the angelfish beats me to it.

I have been breeding mollies for about a year and a half now. In fact I have been planning to expand my breeding program. I have about 9 silver lyre tail mollies and simply need to buy a couple males to try and avoid inbreeding. Then I should be able to get about 400 - 500 mollies every few months (before I do I will check with some local pet stores to see if they will take the fry otherwise I'll have to ensure I don't get too many).

I control breeding by keeping the males and females separate or simply not bothering to try to protect any fry born in my large tank.

Also my wife and I have many friends that keep fish and I have given many mollies to them. They appreciate it since they get free fish. You could post ad's or notes on classified internet sites or possibly at pet stores to indicate you have mollies to give away. I find some people prefer getting fish smaller than you can get them at most pet stores.

I control breeding by keeping the males and females separate or simply not bothering to try to protect any fry born in my large tank.
I've tried that and I still get more fish. In fact, I have NEVER tried to protect the little guys and I have a ton of fish.

I have no one to give them too and the fish shop won't take any.
Ask the fish shop if they'll take them as feeders. My LFS won't take fish for credit unless they're over one inch. They will take any size fish as a feeder though. :mrgreen:

OK thanks everyone for the suggestions I think I'm gonna buy some kind of predator to eat them. Anyone got any ideas for the type of fish to buy?

female mollies, platies and other livebearers have a way to "save up" the males um, 'contribution', allowing them to self-fertilize for many many months after their last encounter with the male.

Back
Top Bottom