Toxic algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apocalypse_Gold

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some red algae growing in my 10 gal qt/fry tank and I was discussing what would be a good algae eater for that tank with the guy at my lfs. He said that some red algae can be toxic to shrimp and possibly fish. Has he been smoking red algae or is this a real problem? My algae is dark red and grows in furry clumps (like little tribbles). Also, what would you recommend for eating algae in a smaller tank? Plecos and chinese algae eaters seem to eat all the algae too fast and then you have to feed them.

Try Oto cats. I don't know about down there but they have them at both Petsmart and Walmart up here. $1.49 at Petsmart. Sorry I can't help you with the toxic red algae thing. That's something my big ugly duffus brother would know better than me. But something tells me he won't know (wink, wink).

Does the algae look like rust? If so this is just your common algae that usually comes with a new tank. If it's not that, then I'm not sure.

-brent

It is more red than rust. It grows in thick clumps on the decorations. My ghost shrimp are eating it and they seem okay, so I probably don't need to worry. :wink:

oh well if its just ghost shrimp then you can just buy more. err not saying their probally going to die but it they do. unless you really attached to them

I realized last night that this algae is heliophobic. It grows best on the side of the decorations that is away from the window in that room.

Back
Top Bottom