Transporting 10 gallon tank to new home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jen283

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello -

I am moving out of my parent's house. Yay! But I've been wondering about moving my tank to my new house. It is about a 30-40 minute car drive.

I have a 10 gallon tank with just two platies at the moment. I've looked up some stuff online about moving it, but I was wondering if any of you had an easy method or one with minimal stress to the fish. I can do it on a weekend and set up my stand beforehand. I know that I'm supposed to keep the filter submerged to save all the bacteria I can, but if any of you have any more tips that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

You'll have to bag up your fish to transport them. I've found a small, portable betta tank can work as well. Others have used rubbermaid containers, etc. Do not move the tank with water in it, that is sure way to get leaks or blow out a side. For a 30-40 minute ride, your filter media would keep in a sealer ziploc bag with some of your tank water.

Should be fairly easy to move since it is a nice, small tank.

You'll have to bag up your fish to transport them. I've found a small, portable betta tank can work as well. Others have used rubbermaid containers, etc. Do not move the tank with water in it, that is sure way to get leaks or blow out a side. For a 30-40 minute ride, your filter media would keep in a sealer ziploc bag with some of your tank water.

Should be fairly easy to move since it is a nice, small tank.

I think I actually do have a couple of 1/2 gallon tanks from bettas my sisters and I had years ago! I could put those in open bags and have someone hold them to keep from splashing.

Should I just spring for some distilled water and gradually work in the water from the new house?

It depends on how different the water parameters are. If your pH is basically within a point or two, you should be fine with using the new water, make sure to treat it with the conditioner of your choice, that is sometimes easy to forget in the middle of a move.

Back
Top Bottom