Tropical hudge goldfish tank warm water!!! Hard to believe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bala shark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys if told yal I keep goldfish in tropical warm water, would you believe me?

If I told ya the goldfish tank mates are oscars, blood parrots, bala sharks and one bad tempered clown nice would you think I am crazy lol?

Well let me introduce y'all to my Michael the biggest goldfish I have ever seen and kept who is is 6months old.

Michael the tropical warm water gold fish

image-1866677096.jpg

image-3727539899.jpg

image-2386018494.jpg

Not that hard to believe. Several fish are kept in improper conditions. Just because someone can keep an arrowana alive in a 55 gal doesn't mean it's the best for them.

I agree just because you did it doesn't mean it is the best for the fish

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to know your tank size and stocking....

They can survive in higher temps (and grow faster) but it shortens lifespan considerably and it also isn't very comfortable.
Fancy Goldie's are meant for warmer water than commons, but they still aren't meant for tropical temperatures.

Well if its was not best then why in a matter of months have the fish grown 4 times its size

I'd love to know your tank size and stocking....

Which one i have 3 tank two of which I build myself I got a 400L then a 900L and my killer tank 1500L

400L tank is my community tank home to tiger barb, platinum barb, albino barb, and green barbs, clown loach, blue loach, baby bala shark, rainbow shark, red tail black shark, tire track eel, angel fish and bronze gory's.

900L is going to be swapped around with my 400L tank stock currently I bread my bait fish and guppies in it which I grow to feed my killer tank stock, also I grow my fish in it like currently I have a baby high fin emperor shark in it and snails for my loaches.

1500L I have a unique set up where I have my killers I bought them all while they were fry the tank is 2years old, I keep red belly piraña, large bala shark, Oscar red devel, blood parrot, juvenile size pangasius Cat fish, pleco, blood parrot and one juvenile royal clown fish, I moved the gold fish out last night due to it not getting along with me pleco lol.

My fancy goldfish tanks sometimes get warm in the summer and they seem to handle it well. I would not intentionally keep them in tropical temperature water though.

How big do you call big? Ive seen people go fish in lakes and catch a 15 inch common goldfish? Ive seen aquariums with massive goldfish and koi

Last summer when we had an extended hot spell, I lost my goldfish. My apartment isn't air conditioned. I changed water, added ice and did all I could but they didn't make it and they were way bigger than the picture you showed. They were at Orandas and the bodies were at least the size of a golf ball and I've seen bigger.

I had my fish at least 5 years and they were probably the size you fish were when you bought them when I got them. I always buy small fish and grow them out.

You've had him 6 months. Please reconsider the water.

Because of this I've sworn off cold water tanks. I don't want any more fish to die like that.

My friend has a comet (she won at the fair) in with 2 angels and some guppies and 2. Common plecos in a 125litre tank, the plecos she only bought last week after me saying no no no no .. And her water is so hot ,mine is topping 27/28 so I'm changing 10 litres every day for cooler water , but hers must of been 30 easily, I tried to tell her to re home the comet but unfortunately all my help fell onto deaf ears ! It's hard to keep cool as we're in the middle of summer here in Tenerife and the temp is around 35 to 40 degrees every day .. But gold fish belong in cooler water .. That's my opinion

It's fun to break the "rules" once in a while

Which one i have 3 tank two of which I build myself I got a 400L then a 900L and my killer tank 1500L

400L tank is my community tank home to tiger barb, platinum barb, albino barb, and green barbs, clown loach, blue loach, baby bala shark, rainbow shark, red tail black shark, tire track eel, angel fish and bronze gory's.

900L is going to be swapped around with my 400L tank stock currently I bread my bait fish and guppies in it which I grow to feed my killer tank stock, also I grow my fish in it like currently I have a baby high fin emperor shark in it and snails for my loaches.

1500L I have a unique set up where I have my killers I bought them all while they were fry the tank is 2years old, I keep red belly piraña, large bala shark, Oscar red devel, blood parrot, juvenile size pangasius Cat fish, pleco, blood parrot and one juvenile royal clown fish, I moved the gold fish out last night due to it not getting along with me pleco lol.
I think your mix of fish is awesome and the photos in your album look great .. If having Michael the goldfish in there at tropical tempertaure works, that's fantastic.(y) He sure looks happy and healthy to me. [I did have to learn the hard way that you can't mix neons with goldfish, however.] When my tank was goldfish (up until August 1, 2013) ... temp would stay at 75-76 degrees in summer and it was fine.

I guess some people think goldfish tanks should be "air conditioned/water cooled." Ummmmmmmmmm ...... I wonder how goldfish ever survived in the USA hot summers prior to the time central air conditioning became "standard equipment" on new houses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish

A western aquarium of the 1850s of the type that contained goldfish among other coldwater species

Ok guys I can't believe your that ignorant to think that just because a fish is living it is doing great. Honestly that gold fish will not last long with that stock it's with. And a fish growing that fast is not healthy because his metabolism is speed up so fast his life will be severely shortened. Ok and referencing something from 1850 is really a terrible idea, have you never noticed how dumb we were back in he 1850s? Please move the goldfish to a Cooler water tank. I hope I didn't offend anybody.

My friend has a comet (she won at the fair) in with 2 angels and some guppies and 2. Common plecos in a 125litre tank, the plecos she only bought last week after me saying no no no no .. And her water is so hot ,mine is topping 27/28 so I'm changing 10 litres every day for cooler water , but hers must of been 30 easily, I tried to tell her to re home the comet but unfortunately all my help fell onto deaf ears ! It's hard to keep cool as we're in the middle of summer here in Tenerife and the temp is around 35 to 40 degrees every day .. But gold fish belong in cooler water .. That's my opinion

The angels must be very small or your guppies would have been eaten by now. If the plecos are small common plecos can grow to be quite large. I had one that grew to over 18 inches long which I think is 46 centimeters long. I got rid of it because it started eating my goldfish. I've had angel fish and they grow big and very territorial. I wish her luck. The tank is big enough that if she has small fish it will work for awhile but she has trouble brewing in that mix of fish.

My current tank is 125 gallon which the converter says is 473 litres. I have 3 tinfoil barbs that are over a foot long. I'm an adult. Their bodies cover my hand. The tail goes up my arm. I have an upside down catfish, 2 yoyo loaches, and a Jewel cichlid. The barbs are 13 years old which is old for that type of fish. They were only about an inch long when I bought them. I think an inch is about 3 centimeters long.

Today I started getting fish for my new tank. It is about the same size as your friends. I bought a peacock eel and an albino bristle nose cat. In a couple of weeks I plan on getting some red striped sharks. When my tin foil barbs die I will move these to the larger tank.

I'd like to get a fire eel but I think it would get too big for my large tank.

Check this cool thread out!

This is a great reason to know about how to keep GF. They a can live for very many years and can get much larger than most people have ever seen as the majority of people who keep GF dony really know what do do for top quality specimens.

Please take some time to learn more about goldfish and keeping them from people who have champion bred fish.

Also each type of fish have parameters which should be kept for them.

Here's the link
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Last edited:
Not to mention that even if you succeed in keeping them going in smaller tanks, they will become stunted if not given more space when they need it.

Goldies can be very personable, interesting fish. I love the video on Youtube where one learned to ring a bell by pulling a string, to be fed.

But they deserve to be kept in the conditions that they evolved to thrive in. Just because they can survive in ponds in summer does not mean they are enjoying the heat. I often notice them coming up for air, because their water is so low in oxygen when it's hot. But in a pond they can at least choose the coolest spot available, or shade under a plant. In a tank they have no such choices.

I had a Black Moor, back when I was in high school. Very tiny when I got him. I kept him in a 5G, for a year or so, until he grew too large for it. Used to eat from my hand. Rehomed him to a very large pond, where he lived for decades. Last time I saw him, long ago, he was nearly a foot long.

Consider the goldfish being caught in Lake Tahoe.. clearly released by aquarium owners who should have known better, they are changing the entire ecology of the lake, and growing to impressive size while they do it.

I guess you can compare this to driving drunk. Many people do it. They don't kill anyone or hurt themselves or anyone else. Is it right? Is it safe? Is it done? No, No and Yes. Personally, I wouldn't brag that you have accomplished this. It shows that you don't have a clue about the care and upkeep of these different types of fish. But I'll leave that to you to decide.
Short term exposure to higher temps is not the death of Goldfish. It's the prolonged exposure that will have a detrimental effect over time. Maybe, for example, it means that the fish only lives 10 years instead of 20? If you're happy with that result, we are not going to change your mind.
It appears that the fish available today have totally lost their natural ways. Now, they might as well be a piece of furniture to look at (IMO). Their natural personalities have been lost. I can assure you that my Oscars of the 1960s would have cleaned out your tank of it's barbs and goldfish ( that I see in the pictures) even when they were just 2 or 3 inches long. That yours allows a Goldfish and Barbs to live in the same tank tells me that the fish hobby has gone too far in the wrong direction. We should stop separating the fish by Tropical and Coldwater designations. They are just fish now. I hope you can accommodate their needs. Enjoy them!!

Back
Top Bottom