Two rams are better than one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my ram for a few months now (yea!). I had not seen any signs of aggression from him. I decided to add a guppy to the tank. Within 5 minutes the ram had the guppy's tail in his mouth and was dragging him across the bottom of the tank. Luckily I did have a place to put the guppy and got him out. His tail is half way grown back now.

After losing two fish last week after changing to sand (my fault for leaving them in while cleaning out), and having a good water test yesterday (trates less than 10), I am considering what to do with this tank.

I don't have any other back up tanks now, so if I add a fish and the ram goes after it, they either have to duke it out or the new fish goes back, which is a waste of money for me.

LFS suggested yesterday to add a second ram. They have gold ones along with the blues. What do you think? Could I add a gold ram with my blue? Would it be bad that my blue appears about full size and the gold would still be small?

My tank is ten gallons with a dalmation molly, female betta, rosy barb (3 inches and done growing as far as I can tell), and the blue ram. HOB filter, every other day feeding, weekly 25-50% water changes, and regular low nitrates around 10.

Your tank is fully stocked. I wouldn't add anymore fish and Rams need 20 gallons at minimum.

Back
Top Bottom