Two-week old tank...bacteria and filter ?s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myriam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I should have been reading and posting to this section all along, instead of the General Discussion one! I feel less dopey here, since everyone else is also trying to figure out all this stuff.

I have a 20-gallon tank with 3 Black Mollies, 5 Red Wag Platies and 2 Aeneus Cory Catfish. I have the filter that came with the Top Fin tank kit--it has a white filter bag filled with charcoal bits that the water runs through.

The guy at PetSmart (I know, I know, but I couldn't find a better LFS around) gave me some bacteria stuff that I am supposed to add 4 tsp to the tank on the 1st, 7th and 14th days of the tank's life. So from what I've been reading here, that kind of stuff (Stresszyme?) is useless. ACK! Does that mean my tank has not even begun to grow the good bacteria?! My ammonia is .5 (I tested yesterday). Is that too high already? Last week the 2 catfish and a platy died, PetSmart replaced them, and now they all seem fine. There have even been many molly and platy fries, although I believe they have all been eaten :-(

What is this Bio thing that I keep seeing postings about? Some kind of instant bacteria in your tank? Where do I get it, does it really work well, and can I add it in to a tank with fish already in it (as well as all that other stuff that I've added)?

I've also added a couple packets of StressCoat that came with the aquarium kit, as well as 4 tbsp of aquarium salt (the guy said livebearers like the salt).

Now for my filter--I keep seeing differing opinions and I'm so confused. So should I replace the white filter bag at certain periods, or just keep rinsing it off? When should I add or replace the charcoal inside?

Thanks!

.5 is not too bad for ammonia. I'd try to keep it from exceeding that though. Continue to monitor ammonia and nitrite until levels of both have fallen to 0. If you see a drastic increase in either one, do a water change to bring the levels down to what the fish can handle. Some folks will tell you not to do a water change during the cycle, but I have always done mine that way and they always cycled just fine.
I have never used any of the bacterial supplements so I can't comment on them with any authority...I do it the old fashioned way :mrgreen: .
I would say that once a month would probably be OK for changing the filter cartridge. It sounds like you have a Whisper filter that uses the bio bags. I wouldn't rinse the cartridge off though...just let it run. When water is spilling over the top of the filter cartridge, it's definitely time to change it. The replacement carts should come with a new bag and a packet of carbon. Replace the carbon each time you replace the bag.

Bio-Spira :) thats what you're asking about myriam. Tis a product produced by Marineland, and is they ONLY bacterial starter on the market with the correct nitrifying bacteria. I've used it 3 times to cycle a tank and its worked wonders. Its really made to deal with rising levels of ammonia, and not established levels, although it MIGHT help in your case. No guarantees tho. StressZyme is pretty much a waste of time (if you want the explanation of heterotrophic and proper nitrifying bacteria let me know :) ), but your tank IS starting to cycle. .5 is higher then some folks like in their tanks, other are feel its not too dangerous. With levels at the range its a personal preference. But in any case, you'll want to water change to dilute it.

As for the filters, some of us change when they bag is all clogged up. Others of us rinse the filter media out in tank water (removed during water changes) and reuse it. Personally I reuse my media; generally 2-3 times until the floss gets all raggedy, then I use a new one. I don't use carbon; IMHO its unneccessary unless one is trying to remove tint from driftwood or removing meds. I happen to think the proprietory media is way too expensive; if you feel the same you can use some plain filter floss, or even better, find sponge media which will fit into the filter media space. I've never changed my sponges at all; just clean them out every month or so.

Thanks for the info, Allivymar and loganj. I will keep checking the ammonia. I am cheating by having bought some kind of ammonia-detox tablets--I dropped it into the tank and it looked like a fizzing alka-seltzer thing. I will do a water change, too.

So does that bacteria-builder stuff--Stresszyme--even do anything? I am annoyed that the guy at PetSmart recommended it for my brand new tank, and the bottle cost like $8. I am kicking myself for not having found this forum before I started my tank :| If I had done that I would have saved myself some serious headaches and $ !

My filter is the Top Fin 20 gallon filter that the tank kit came with. It seems to work pretty good, as far as I know. I did make the mistake of looking today at all the other top o' the line filters there, like the Penguin and Emperor ones. Wowee. Are these worth the money, in your opinions?

The Emperor filters are the best HOB filters available IMO. You can get by fine with what you have though...I'd run it until it gives trouble. Also, be warned that the "ammonia tablets" will likely give you an incorrect reading on your ammonia test. Unless you have a salicylate based test...most of the FW tests are nessler though.

*nods and agrees with loganj*

I also like the Marineland filters (Emperor, Penguin, etc); its the bio-wheel that really kicks it for me. It is a wheel made of folded paper which gives a really large surface for the nitrifying bacteria to colonise; means I can change my filters at whim and my ammonia levels never spike cause theres always enough bacteria. Its set up so the bacteria is kept always wet, but is exposed to the air as the bacteria also need oxygen (the wheel turns). The Topfin is fine tho; if you want you can actually buy a bio-wheel separate and add that to the tank too if you want.

As for Stresszyme well...it didn't do anything bad LOL The bacteria in the Stresszyme ARE usually alive, but they aren't the right ones for cycling a tank. Chances are they were heterotrophic bacteria; heterotrophics will eat ammonia but only if there is no organic waste. Sorta keeps the ammonia levels down until the poo starts adding up and the nitrifying bacteria colonies start growing. But doesn't exactly cycle a tank, and as you've noticed, as soon as there is organic waste they don't bother with the ammonia.

I happen to think the StressZyme works great. The first time I used it, I had forgotten to add it and only added the StressCoat. (my first tank). In two days my water turned ORANGE. I remembered the StressZyme, added it, and everything was fine after that. I still use it, and have no problem with it. :fadein:

megnmick said:
I happen to think the StressZyme works great. The first time I used it, I had forgotten to add it and only added the StressCoat. (my first tank). In two days my water turned ORANGE. I remembered the StressZyme, added it, and everything was fine after that. I still use it, and have no problem with it. :fadein:

You still use it? In what way do you still use it? If you are adding it with your water changes then it didn't cycle your tank. You shouldn't have to keep adding it.

StressZyme contains the wrong type of bacteria. These little buggers will eat ammonia & nitirite but its not their first choice. So when you put it in your tank they'll eat some ammonia and nitrites... especially at first if enough are put in the tank. But they will start to eat other stuff instead. That is why they recommend you keep adding more StressZyme with water changes. :wink:

Your water turned orange?? How weird! I've never heard of THAT happening before. I wonder why that happened? I'm sure it had nothing to do with the Stresszyme to be honest; do you happen to have high levels of rust in your water or rusty pipes?

Back
Top Bottom