udergravel filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsg1093

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What has happened to these things? I've been out of the hobby for 30 yrs. And they all seem 2 be p.o.s. In the old days the air would come straight up through the carbon, everything i find is at a right angle which apparently only uses 20% of the activated charcoal. I have tried using a pump for twice the size of my tank & the same result. If anyone knows where i can purchase an old style one let me know ! :(

I personally just took the one out of my 115G and am in the process of taking the one out of my 84G. In both tanks it was just trapping crud underneath and creating a nitrate factory. I am going to better filters and more water changes to keep my water clean. Very anti-UGF user here!!!!

almost no one uses them anymore thats what happened. the ones who still use them tend to use them as RUGF. this way they use a power head to push the water down and up though the gravel turning the whole gravel bed into a bio filter.

Back
Top Bottom