Unhappy about this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A prime example of what I'm referring to is a certain friend I've made on the site. He originally posted asking questions about substrate and plants...and I casually asked him if he was familiar with cycling. He said, yeah, he's gonna let the tank run for a few days to grow some bacteria and add fish. I linked him to numerous articles about the nitrogen cycle and both fishless and fish-in cycling, he made his own choice on which path to choose and now has a healthy aquarium.

Otherwise, he would have ended up as another person we linked HN1's article to.

Last edited:
The term might be harsh, but I stand by the message. I also don't see people attacked (at least not by myself) when they first post other than occasionally being asked if their tank is cycled.

I link your cycling article (literally) about 5 times a day...those are the type of hobbyists I am referring to who were most likely uninformed about what goes into the hobby.

I very much appreciate you getting the true newbs off to a good start through your posts and links. Please don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to say that assumptions can be very wrong at times. Those questions are completely valid in a lot of cases and I ask them when I think they are appropriate as well. Just sayin' that there are many "new" people that aren't quite so new. It is also important to acknowledge one of the coolest things about this hobby (IMO).... there are many ways to achieve great results. Right and wrong should really be answered by how the fish are LONGterm.

Back
Top Bottom