Unstoppable -Juvi Gar causing issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ynotony

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I have run into a 6inch long speed bump in my tank......so my 6 inch juvi gar is an unstoppable little killing machine after his recent choice to eat my catfish I'm wondering what is safe to house with him.......cause so far nothing seems to be out of his reach.

The only thing in the tank he doesn't seem to bother is a sailfin pleco which is about 3 inches long. And a salvini he can't catch( I'll be moving him out tommorow due to the risk)

Y'all have any ideas of some suitable tank mates that can hold there own?

How big is your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Get him a vampire tetra friend :) theyre peaceful towards predatory fish of similar size. They do backflips in the water when they catch their prey sometimes. Pretty cool to watch :D

My tank is 75 gallons....more than sufficient space for him and a few other fish until I upgrade and or build a pond

And as far as payara I've looked at them and can't find and that come at a decent size.

My buddy has a fahaka puffer thats the size of a football. He would destroy the gar...but theyre such a cool fish. Smart too.

Get an indo dat? Those guys are wicked to watch hunt. Beasts

Okay so I have managed to find a fish the same size as my gar but the gar is now attacking the new fish and the new guy is not backing down.....should I let the duke it out for supremecy or remove the new fish?

And if it helps the new fish is a clown knife. Roughly 6 inches in size

That clown knife is gonna outgrow your tank. They get really big. He should be alright with your gar though

Well this is a perfect example of what happens when you think your fish belong in your tank... gar?? Seriously.. I'm playing bad guy here but get rid of everything and start again.. gar are apex predator fish.. i eat hamburgers every time they are put on the table . That knife fish is a delicious puzzle waiting to be solved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay so I have managed to find a fish the same size as my gar but the gar is now attacking the new fish and the new guy is not backing down.....should I let the duke it out for supremecy or remove the new fish?

And if it helps the new fish is a clown knife. Roughly 6 inches in size

What kind of gar are we talking about here?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

don't gars get about 6' long and eat large carp,
only thing that would have a chance would be a bigger red snakehead if they are legal in your state , you can catch them in ever waterway in south Florida and many other states also
some dummy release there pets into the wild like the pythons and lion fish

Some gars get huge. The needle nose gar only gets around 1'3". The minimum tank size for a needle nose is 70 gallons

Mine is an alligator gar.....and I have already made future plans for him once I am unable to house him properly.

And for the person who said scrap my tank and start over I will not do that as for the size my fish are they are suited for my tank and I have done all the research on the gar before I bought it.....unlike most who don't do any and impulse buy

Mine is an alligator gar.....and I have already made future plans for him once I am unable to house him properly.

And for the person who said scrap my tank and start over I will not do that as for the size my fish are they are suited for my tank and I have done all the research on the gar before I bought it.....unlike most who don't do any and impulse buy

Doesn't sound like it, the 2 fish I know of in this tank one gets over 100lbs and will grow bigger than the tank you have it in and the other gets to a little over 3'. That sounds a lot more like impulse buys than research.....

The research should tell you that gar aren't exactly community fish, so consider just housing him alone. It will only be a matter of time before he gets ahold of the other fish in there.

Research should also tell you that alligator gar really shouldn't be in a tank at all, or even a small pond considering that they can eventually get around 10 feet and a few hundred pounds. There's other smaller gar species that would work better in a large home aquarium. With a fish that gets as big as this one it's also important to have a good rehoming plan since they can live for decades and shouldn't just be released into the wild when they get too large to deal with.

I planned and researched my tank setup/layout and fish selection for almost 2-3 months before setting it up....don't think that what I did was impulse at all.

And as far as future plans I already have them made for the gar wouldn't have bought it if I didn't have plans that would be able to accommodate it for long term.

I planned and researched my tank setup/layout and fish selection for almost 2-3 months before setting it up....don't think that what I did was impulse at all.

And as far as future plans I already have them made for the gar wouldn't have bought it if I didn't have plans that would be able to accommodate it for long term.

If you planned and researched buying an alligator gar, then u shouldn't be surprised that its wiping out all its tankmates. You're going to have the same problem in a pond that you have now in the 75g. May not have been an impulse buy, but it certainly wasn't a smart purchase... Some species should not be kept in this hobby and the alligator gar is 1 of them.

If you planned and researched buying an alligator gar, then u shouldn't be surprised that its wiping out all its tankmates. You're going to have the same problem in a pond that you have now in the 75g. May not have been an impulse buy, but it certainly wasn't a smart purchase... Some species should not be kept in this hobby and the alligator gar is 1 of them.

I 100% agree with this. There's no reason why any Alligator Gar should ever be in any home aquarium or pond. There's absolutely no way an Alligator Gar can fit in a standard pond the only way I can see it working is if you built a lake out behind your home. Living in Texas I see first hand how ungodly big these monsters can get and it really hurts seeing these being kept in the tiny quarters they're all too often kept in. Hope you don't have any small animals or pets once, or if, you get that pond...:nono:

Come on guys lay off. It's not your animal and you have no idea what kind of plans he has for his fish when it gets bigger. This is why I no longer post pictures of my tank and almost none of my fish because of the judging people on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom