Upgraded tank size, huge differance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just upgraded to a 29 gallon tank from a 20 gal long. Honestly I thought I may be wasting my money. I'm so glad I took the chance. My fish seem so much happier, for the first time I am watching my tetras school. It's just a beautiful peaceful sight. I would've leaped into the 55 gallon but is not fees able at this time. I feel like a proud mama. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406259919.057373.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just upgraded to a 29 gallon tank from a 20 gal long. Honestly I thought I may be wasting my money. I'm so glad I took the chance. My fish seem so much happier, for the first time I am watching my tetras school. It's just a beautiful peaceful sight. I would've leaped into the 55 gallon but is not fees able at this time. I feel like a proud mama. View attachment 244358

Just an FYI, Tetras school when scared, being dragged out of one tank and into another one will kick in their instincts.
When they feel more comfortable they'll split up again.

Really I thought tetras were supposed to school by nature. And thank you, I really think this was a good choice. They all seem more active where before some would hang out in same spot for hours. It's going on a full day with no tragadies. Maybe, hopefully I have this under control and we can enjoy and not fear what we may see in the morning. Feeling good about this change. Thanks to a handful of people who really seem to care.

Haha no problem. It's good to see people who care enough to give their fish that extra nine gallons :)

Also the some fish school for fun and other school because they are scared or in a new environment.

I use to have some neons that would school even though they were in a tank on their own with only shrimp XD

I think another user had some neons and once he got a red tail shark they started to school so that works too lol

I've been warned about red tail sharks being agressive as they grow. Idk I had a bully and it took weeks to figure out what was going on. With the issues I've had with a bully I will only get calm peaceful fish. I lost far to many guppies due to a Chineese AE. And thank you I considered the 55 gal. but it's really not fees able. Not enough room or money. I also have a lot more to learn.

I have 10 Colombian tetras in my 75g and they school. The thought is, safety in numbers; the school gets tighter when frightened, at other times the school is loose. Some small fish may not school unless threatened but Tetras seem to stay close to each other, even different species. Increased tank size allows them to be more natural.

Save up your money and look around on Craiglist for a used setup, much less expensive than buying new. If you can't find space for a 55 a 40 breeder is almost as good. If you can find space for a 55 though I'd really recommend going for a 75 instead, only 6" deeper front-to-back (than a 55) but it gives you tons more options.

Congrats, I felt the same way when I went from a 20g long to a 29. It's only 6 inches in height but it felt like much more than that.

I really don't have room for a 55 gal, for the price differance I was tempted but I would have to get rid if my tv. That's just not fair to my 6 yr old. :)

Just a counter point of view: I currently have a pair of 20 longs and used to have a 55 and 33 hex. I sold/gave away the larger tanks and opted for the smaller ones. Why? Cost primarily. I understand the cons would include less fish, less diversity, and possibly less stability in terms of water quality.
My focus recently shifted from fish to plants and shrimp and the 20 long's height (or lack of) translates to more effective use of lighting. DIY CO2 is feasible for this tank size. I generally under stock anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom