Upgrading to Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STLCroyards

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade from a "hang on the back" aqueon quietflow 30, to a canister filter. I have a few questions:

1. I am worried about losing good bacteria during the change. Would simply placing the old media (some biomax rings, a sponge) into the canister be efficient?

2. I have a 36 gallon bowfront, with 2 Angels. I only plan on adding a couple of Cory's and being complete. Can I use a bigger filter? I was looking at the Fluval 306, which does up to 70 gallons, would this be okay?

3. Do you have any recommendations on the best type of canister filter? Again, I am looking at the Fluval but am open to suggestions.

The reason I want to upgrade is because I want the healthiest environment possible. Up to this point, my water has been perfectly on spec. I don't want to risk losing anything to upgrading.

Thanks!

Placing the old media in the new filter is a must or you'll be starting a whole new cycle. Bigger filter is fine as long as your not stressing the fish too much with water flow. I would diffuse the stronger flow with a spray bar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't you have a cartridge in the aqueon? Either way, you have to put all your media from your old to the new. Then you can slowly replace with new one if you don't like the old....

Answer to question 1: yes

Answer to question 2: 306 is
perfect [emoji108]

Don't you have a cartridge in the aqueon? Either way, you have to put all your media from your old to the new. Then you can slowly replace with new one if you don't like the old....

You just need the biological media (bioballs, rings etc) in the new canister. If you are using a cartridge filter then leave the old filter on for a month while the new canister gets cycled.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I did go to my local fish store today with the input that I had. I ended up going with the Marineland C220. I was advised to go ahead and leave the old hang on the back filter up for about a month as well, who knows, it may become a permanent part of the setup.

The Canister filter is all setup, no leaks, and everything is working perfectly. I can't believe that I didn't do this sooner!

when I went from a HOB to canister I ran both for a while, then put the other one on a timer first for 12 hours then 6 then no more. This way even if the canister isn't established (it should be) you still have a 2nd source of filtration. One reason to go with the canister is to reduce clutter in the tank, so while leaving the hob isn't a bad idea, it kind of defeats that purpose. On the other side if you ever have to quarantine a fish, having an established hob can make setting up a small tank easier on you for treating that fish.
I have transitioned to a sump and still run a canister (inside the sump) just for that reason. I know I can put the canister on my 40 or 29 and use it for whatever with out having to worry.

Day 2 of the canister upgrade. Water parameters are still perfect, and running the double filtration right now has not upset the two angels. Everything is looking great. My plan is to leave the HOB for at least a month, but if it doesn't bother any of the fish, I may just leave it, put another sponge on it to slow down the flow rate, and let it go. We will see. :dance:

Perfect! Good luck. I run a HOB and canister on my 60

Back
Top Bottom