Use of ammonia scrubbers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saffikeagan

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do you deal with PWC when even the tap water has high ammonia levels? Do you use a scrubber on the tap water before adding it to the tank? I need to do a PWC on my Beta in his QT tank, but the filtered tap water I'm going to use is at 1-2.

Last edited:
You need to use a quality declorinator like Prime that detoxifies Ammonia. Make sure to follow the packaging instructions for extra dosing to deal with your Ammonia levels.

I'd use Prime. YHou may want to use the bucket method. Fill 5 gal buckets with water and add prime. Let it sit overnight then use. The harmful Ammonia should be detoxified by then. What is the level of Ammonia you are seeing in your tap?

I'm relying on the Art major in my family to read my ammonia levels. She states that out of the tap I'm between 1-2.

I understand prime is good; however, I need to change Sammie's water quick and I don't know where to get prime. I have an Ammonia Nutralizer that I have already added to the water. It's by Aqueon, and it's what PetStore sold me. Is it okay to use this stuff on my tap water with every PWC? Is it natural to need an ammonia neutralizer on tap water?

Read the bottle it may deal with ammonia most of them do. Once your tank is established the bio filter will deal with the ammonia quickly. Do not forget to order yourself some Prime.

Sammie is now enjoying swimming in some Crystal Alpine Natural Spring Water bottled in NowhereNearTexas USA. Other than a slight pH difference, it was nice and clear of all NH (unlike the other gallon which was bottled in BFE Texas).

Sammie is now enjoying swimming in some Crystal Alpine Natural Spring Water bottled in NowhereNearTexas USA. Other than a slight pH difference, it was nice and clear of all NH (unlike the other gallon which was bottled in BFE Texas).

i just wanted to sugest that ;PPPPPP

Yea, well the problem is that I figured that Sammie would be happier in a non-cycled tupperware container with gravel and fun stuff to swim through and in than in a plastic dish in my LFS. Which is true still in my mind. This also serves the purpose of doing a QT as my tank finishes cycling. The only problem is that the Tupperware also is not cycled. Again though, 1 cup of non-cycled LFS or a few gallons of non-cycled Tupperware.... I didn't think though about the issue of the high NH right now locally until today when I tested his water and said "ack PWC time." I even have 3 gallons of dechlorinated same temperature water next to him ready and waiting. I did that one final test (of course after I had learned how to use my python and pulled out half of his water) and started worrying a bit. LOL.

I think Sammie will be perfectly happy in C.A.N.S.W. until my tank finishes cycling. At a dollar a gallon, I think I can manage!

Back
Top Bottom